Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultrasonic cleaning to restore the YH-409 HVAC sensor and park brake vacuum switch

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m hoping that within the next 10 years 3D printing will become the go to for obsolete parts for these cars. If they could be 3D printed in any material that would be even better so that leaves interior pieces for now.

Gadget that would be a neat idea. If you could make a plug and play part you could make some money in the box panther community. Especially with the prices of boxes lately you would think they were in style lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

thing is my idea of electronic controls was about 30 years out of date when box Panthers were current tech so I'm probably not the guy to figure it out unless you want 1955 Doc Brown's vacuum tube replacement of a burned out IC chip. Someone who speaks Arduino or whatever the current cool teeny computer things are could probably figure out a way to make it go though.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It could be done pretty easy with a PWM signal from an AT-Tiny with an LM34 temp sensor driving a servo to actuate a vacuum valve. The calibration of the programming to allow specific amount of vacuum through would be the trick. Single input. Single output. Self-contained little setup that would EASILY fit in the area the mechanical sensor takes up.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I was thinking something even more involved, but something that could be combined with a 3d printed housing to end up with a package that drops into the original location, uses the original cable and vacuum connections, and simply needs key-on power run to it would be a lot more convenient to install.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

ok... 2 inputs. Need a pot on the cable or a control swap to the later knobs with the electric temp knob.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Keeping the outward appearance of stock-ness seems desirable, so some sort of 3d printed housing would be necessary to keep the cable end fixed to the pot. The black tube that runs up to the firewall - is that there just to help draw air from the cabin past the temp sensor?
              1987 Lincoln Town Car - Signature, "Prudence"

Comment

No modern climate control head, has to be the stock slider rig. Was thinking a pot with a crank arm so the cable attaches like it did to the vacuum regulator.

The tube is to pull air past the sensor so it reads in-cabin temperature. The other end goes to the blower housing so it creates a draft. Prob have to duplicate that with an electronic sensor to get a reasonable cabin read. The EATC systems did it that way too.

Comment

Yeah... I forgot about the temp input, but that's all very doable... The hardest part is the vacuum solenoid for converting the pwm signal to variable vacuum bleed. I don't know if there is a unicorn that would fit in the form factor. If I still had a box, I might work on the project. Would be something fun to do at work in my spare time, but I have nothing to test it on.

Comment

Yes, this is the part. Good to know. There´s ´89 a parts car 2 hours away from me in Germany. I´ll try my luck there first.

Say, is a working AC mandatory for the ATC sensor to work properly?

Fact is the sensor works on the bench, if I apply heat or cold compressed air.
                    I even removed the sensor once again and changed the setting with the star wheel adjuster on the back of the lever. But to no avail. Still full cold.
                    Last edited by Hillbillycat; 05-25-2021, 04:05 AM.

Comment

ATC doesn't need A/C to work. It will still try to regulate the temp but can't cool beyond the outside air temp. My 88 had the full cold issue when I got it. Replaced the sensor with a lucky newer junkyard find it was happy.
                      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Thank you. So I´ll either buy the ebay one or hope that the one in the parts car is still working.

Comment

working AC is mandatory for proper driving enjoyment though.

Comment

Wonder if there is any chance of this older design working, or using parts from it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27476836783...5ggJgQ&LH_BO=1
                            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Got me the sensor from the donor car - still not working.

Carefully took my old (ultrasonic cleaned one) totally apart. No broken bimetall, no rips in the diaphragm, nothing that would indicate a malfunction.
                              Why the hell isn´t it working then?

Comment

The corrugated hose needs to be on the mount at the firewall to get airflow through the sensor. If that hose isn't hooked up to the port at the firewall, it won't work. If the port is broken and doesn't hold the hose, it won't work. If the vacuum lines won't seal good, it won't work. If there's a vacuum leak in the system, it won't work.

Comment

Working...
                                X