351W/5.8L Stock Block Nuts and Bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

351W/5.8L Stock Block Nuts and Bolts

As I was filling the cooling system I heard and then saw coolant coming out of one of the threaded freeze plugs. I figured "okay, I got those." I tried a 1/4" NPT plug and it wouldn't thread in. Does anybody out there know what size thread(s) the threaded freeze plugs are on a stock block 351W?

Also, I have been trying to figure out the thread size of the timing cover stud. I tried 5/16"-18, 5/16"-24, M8-1.00, and M8-1.25 nuts without success. Not critical, but a convenient place to run my battery ground.

Pics

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0937.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	1305733 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0936.jpg
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	1305734 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0938.jpg
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	1305735 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0939.jpg
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	1305736

I think that's a 1/8 NPT plug on the coolant hole. I really don't know why it's there? To drain coolant? I have never used it for that but I guess it could be done.

No idea on the stud. Got one somewhere in the garage. Will try to dig it out and see what I can get to fit it.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

1/8" NPT is too small; and the 1/4" fits, but won't thread. I'm gonna go to the speed shop and see what they got. Hope this is not another one of those major snags.

Thanks for the quick reply

Comment

everything I'm finding says 1/4 NPT, which seems right based on what I remember from the single 302 I winterized at the marina. Are you sure the threads aren't just buggered up? Should be 18 TPI, confirm with a thread gauge. If thats right, get a 1/4 NPT tap and clean them out.

those plugs are to let you drain all of the coolant out of the block. Or in a marine application, it gets the seawater out of the engine so it doesn't freeze. They are usually run with antifreeze afterward but draining the water out first ensures there is a proper mix in the engine.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I will get a 1/4" NPT from Home Depot tomorrow and see if that's the case. I could've possibly grabbed the incorrect plug. And the threads could be messed up. We'll find out. Just frustrated now with seemingly stupid delays.

Comment

use a brass plug. It won't rust to the block. Bronze would be even better but I doubt HD has those on the shelf.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

You are correct Gadget; those block threads are 1/4NPT. My Dad suggested I use the plug I pulled from the oil pressure port; which fit after chasing the threads with a tap. Went to pour the rest of the coolant in afterwards and after I was nearly done with 2 gallons; coolant poured out of the rear driver's side of the block. Since that port is right in front of the header collector; I will have to pull the exhaust down; or somehow just get the header off to get a tap into that hole. Annoyed, but that seems to be par for the course with this car.

Comment

Working...
              X