X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My apologies to mercurygm88 .

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
      Why would anyone reuse a thermostat gasket ? Says allot about a mechanic. Makes me wonder how cheap the thermostat is.
      Because it is just a rubber o-ring on the 4.6 there is no gasket around the bolt holes between the water neck and intake like on a 5.0, and everyone including Ford says it is reusable. Also the only parts store in the area that carried that o-ring charged $10.99 of it! Yes $10.99 for a rubber o-ring! The thermostat was $8.00.
      Last edited by mercurygm88; 06-20-2021, 07:27 AM.
      2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

Comment

Originally posted by ZackN920 View Post
        ^

Re-read his first post. He was reusing that gasket. Kept getting bum thermostats.
        I was getting bad thermostats I have all three of them laying in the garage as examples, not one lasted over three months. They are all stuck wide open.
        2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

​

Comment

And I was mistaken. 200 miles since I replaced the gasket and the leak is back. This is very frustrating since it’s an intermittent leak and I can’t make it leak on demand, it’s also an incredibly slow leak. I was starting to think it might be the front drivers corner of the intake manifold. But there’s no way that could spray coolant in the areas that are getting wet. I’ve tried revving the engine by hand and looking for the leak but when I do I can’t cause it to leak. Nobody around here has a test kit with an adapter that will fit my coolant reservoir. I’m completely stumped.

​

Comment

Ebay says it is not compatible but stant says #12026 is correct and the sellers description says it will fit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/11481600370...wAAOSwKvdgpQmy
            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Does anyone happen to have the motorcraft past number for the intake manifold? Upon closer inspection it seems to be leaking at the bottom of the thermostat housing between the aluminum crossover and the plastic. Maybe if I can get decent photos of a manifold alone I can better see how this is attached and if that’s even a possible leak point. Replacing the manifold is out of the question at this time due to lack of funds, time, and possibly ability. So hopefully I’m wrong about this.

​

Comment

Intake manifold for 2002: 1W7Z-9424-AB

My Cars:
                -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I have searched and come up with a few part numbers . The most common Ford number for the 02 MGM 4.6 is 1W729424AB or 3W729424AA. Some sources I checked asked about the car having a coolant heated pcv. I would check out the Performance intake from ADTR.NET @ $259. I believe this is an genuine Ford part.
                  I have checked other sources and as of now, no genuine Ford factory model is available. I hope this helps.
                  Whole bunch of aftermarket manifolds available. I just ordered one from 1Aautoparts with a lifetime warranty. Not the genuine Ford upgrade I wanted, but I was not risking the leaks. I can't work on the cars anymore.

A1auto has a decent step by step video on replacing the intake on a Crown Vic. It is about a 3 hour job total.
                  Last edited by Mainemantom; 06-20-2021, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info the manifold I have now is the Ford PI intake with the aluminum crossover. I’ve never heard of one of them leaking that’s why I’m hoping I’m wrong about where the leak is coming from.

​

Comment

Originally posted by mercurygm88 View Post
                      Thanks for the info the manifold I have now is the Ford PI intake with the aluminum crossover. I’ve never heard of one of them leaking that’s why I’m hoping I’m wrong about where the leak is coming from.
                      Yeah, the aluminum ones can leak unfortunately, but at least for the most part they don't just split and start puking coolant everywhere.

Either where the crossover attaches to the intake itself or the intake to the heads it can seep. Usually it'll run down the timing cover and leave streaky marks if allowed to leak for extended periods of time.

Sometimes the heater hose nipple on the back breaks off too.

My Cars:
                      -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                      -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
                        Yeah, the aluminum ones can leak unfortunately, but at least for the most part they don't just split and start puking coolant everywhere.

Either where the crossover attaches to the intake itself or the intake to the heads it can seep. Usually it'll run down the timing cover and leave streaky marks if allowed to leak for extended periods of time.

Sometimes the heater hose nipple on the back breaks off too.
                        That figures, we'll I'm going to see what I can do about it before I go that route. At this rate it will be awhile before I can afford the aftermarket intake and actually have time to install it. I did find out that a friend of a friend has done multiple intake replacements on 4.6's so I will probably get his help when I get around to it. If that turns out to be the leak point.

​

Comment

I managed to fix said leak. I found a local shop who let me borrow their pressure test kit. Turns out it was in fact leaking at the T-Stat housing. The O-ring alone wasn’t sealing so I made a gasket and used a bit of blue RTV. 400 miles and no leaks so far.

​

Comment

Huh. Glad it turned out to be an easy fix after all and not the intake.

Your thread reminded me, I have this same problem with my 94 Suburban. In my case though, I think the cap on the radiator is venting some out. The front of the truck always smells "sweet" after it's run. I also noticed when I took it to NC a few years ago that it seeps a bit from the intake manifold. It'll pool up a little bit right on top of it. I've been to lazy to want to pull the intake since I only need to top it off once every few months. That and if I pull the intake, I won't want to put it back. I'll be tempted to put some "go fast" goodies on it.
                            1987 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series-102k miles- LOPO 302, AOD, open 3.27, Dual exhaust w/ Thrush Turbo mufflers

Comment

Originally posted by ZackN920 View Post
                              Huh. Glad it turned out to be an easy fix after all and not the intake.

Your thread reminded me, I have this same problem with my 94 Suburban. In my case though, I think the cap on the radiator is venting some out. The front of the truck always smells "sweet" after it's run. I also noticed when I took it to NC a few years ago that it seeps a bit from the intake manifold. It'll pool up a little bit right on top of it. I've been to lazy to want to pull the intake since I only need to top it off once every few months. That and if I pull the intake, I won't want to put it back. I'll be tempted to put some "go fast" goodies on it.
                              I assume that there's probably a little bit of an issue with the mating surfaces between the top of the intake and the water inlet for the t-stat, either way it's sealed up and no longer leaking.

​

Comment

Working...
                              X