No announcement yet.

1984 Town Car TS-58 temperatur sensor wrong resistance? Gauge shows almost HOT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1984 Town Car TS-58 temperatur sensor wrong resistance? Gauge shows almost HOT

Hi,

Gauge peaked up short beyond the "L" in "normal" at the gauge face with the TS-58 on my 2 hour trip back from my donor car visit on the Autobahn. It showed constantly around "M" during the 75mph ride in the morning however. After some errands at the donor carīs place and a lunch break it peaked at almost HOT when we drove back.

is the Standard Motor Products temperatur sensor TS-58 prone to show a hot reading?
    Had I better used the Motorcraft brand?

1984 Town Car, analog instrument panel.

Air in the system will cause that issue. You get bad flow with excess air (typically in the line going to the heater core from the pipe near the thermostat). Getting these bled properly can be a pain sometimes. Bad radiator cap can cause this issue as well. Bad cap will let coolant out when it should be holding it and allow air back in when cool due to there not being enough coolant in the overflow tank to be sucked back into the system. Bad fan clutch will cause it to heat up when not at speed. Check at operating temp by shutting off the engine and watching the fan. If it makes more than 2 revolutions, the clutch is shot and needs to be replaced.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thanks,
      Iīll check the fan when I drive her home this evening.

Radiator shows flakes of "leak stop" and I must admit I produced a hairline crack to the aluminum intake manifold when torqueing the new temp sensor. Shame on me. I could kick my a** for that. That hairline crack has minimal coolant leak when running. Just that a tissue napkin gets a moist spot if you touch the crack.

Comment

Yeah... the crack will let air in. Need to fix that. And if you have flakes of stuff in the coolant, you need to flush that system. Crap built up on the coolant channels will prevent the coolant from getting the heat from the engine as effectively as it should.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Coolant flush is on the to-do-list already and weīll try to fix the hairline crack.

Fan clutch is working btw.

Comment

The other issue could be a sticky thermostat. That's the exact issue I had with the last thermostat that went bad.

Comment

Something I'm going to add here without too much analysis of the problem: the temperature gauge in my 84 Town Car cluster is faulty, and over time gradually reads higher despite the actual engine temp being consistent.

I do not expect this is common, widespread, or specific to 84, but it is a possibility to keep in mind.

Most likely my problem is specifically with the Instrument Voltage Regulator causing out of spec voltage, but I never diagnosed it further, just determined "the gauge was bad", put in a mechanical gauge, and left it alone since that. The car hasn't been driven in a while now.

Current driver: Ranger
              Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
              | 88 TC | 91 GM
              Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
              Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
              | Junkyards

Comment

My '88 has the inverse issue, it reads colder than it actually is until it starts to overheat. The pointer only goes halfway through the "A" in Normal. I've ohmed out the sending unit and it was correct for 195F or whatever the book says it should be. I've just left it alone.
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

IVR problems will also make the gas gauge read stupid. Its a mechanical device, basically similar to an old bi-metal blinker in operation and over time those parts lose tension and it goes stupid. You can buy modern replacements that are not mechanical, its just a simple fixed voltage regulator in the original package so it plugs in and gives steady voltage instead of the pulsed output the original did.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Still no time to address the hairline crack at the temp sender, BUT I flushed the whole system two times, took off the thermostat (US-made), checked it for proper operation which it did and changed the TS-58 sender for a genuine Motorcraft one I bought. Rockauto had sent me a wrong Motorcraft Thermostat so I had to reuse the old one.
                    Gauge shows acts normal again with only sometimes pegging up to "L".
                    So I DO think it is an air bubble that gets stuck under the sender from time to time. Usually the needle drops back after a hard turn (again indicator for air bubble)
                    The thermostat wasnīt clogged or such just dirty with rust - donīt ask what that coolant looked alike when I drained it.......

Right now Iīm running plain water and will do further flushes untill I see the drained water becoming less dirty.
                    Then Iīll change for distilled water and Motorcraft green coolant.

Oh, I changed all hoses for new ones while doing the flushes.

Backflushing the heater core was interesting too........lots of brown water.....

Comment

While changing a leaking fuel hose under the engine I noticed that the heat riser valve was disconnected from the actuator rod, leaving the plate inside the valve to flap to and fro. Could this have caused the fluctuating temperature by blocking the exhaust of one bank?

Comment

won't help any thats for sure.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Hi, that mustīve been the culprit. Since reconnecting the rod the gauge showed normal operation with the needle straight in the middle.

Comment

Working...
                          X