[02 MGM LS] A/C takes time to kick in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The final update:

Didn't replace or service the A/C compressor clutch, or its shims, or the pulley, or the field coil (a YUGE electromagnet, in essence).

The coolant charge tested out OK, I retested volts along the power circuitry, between the low and high pressure switches and the cut-out relay...

And BAZINGA!, it's the A/C cut-out relay (which lives in the 3-relay and diode box on the driver's fender). I wiggled it back and forth in the relay base and observed how the clutch plate would respond. A yank there, the clutch plate stopped, a yank back, the clutch plate engaged and span up. Cleaned out the relay base with contact cleaner.

Now it works damn fine, which is a blessing at 95 F outside!
    I'll revisit the relay base and crimp the female pins there to improve the contact with the relay pins.
    '00 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, Silver Frost, the "Sharona": runs, drives and currently with mods in progress
    '96 Chrysler Grand Voyager LE 3.3 V6
    "You obviously have not been introduced to the ASTM Guidance for Profanity Gauging of Technical Services, Addendum#1, American English to Polish Scale Conversion, by which a repair done at a rate of 35 kurwas per 5 minutes means normal performance."

Comment

Working...
    X