08 Town Car Evaporator leak, R&R questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

08 Town Car Evaporator leak, R&R questions

It seems from the manual the fan heater/evaporator box comes out from the engine side. Any trick to this other than many bloody knuckles and forearms plus a back ache when done?

Also I am thinking of changing the fan assembly while I am in there. Thoughts on that? Is it relatively easy on its own? Also anything else I should take care of (replace) at the same time maybe heater core? or things I should watch out for like leaky gaskets or......? any blend doors accessible while the box is out?

General advice on this project is what I need.

Thanks,
    Jay
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

I've only ripped one apart in the autowreckers.

Pull all the dash trim & glove box.

Instrument cluster/radio sound panel will also have to come out, if the tc is like a whale, you can leave the radio installed and pull the trim panel with the radio staying mounted in it, then just disconnect the radio plugs. Instrument cluster itself can stay attached to the dash--make sure you disconnect carefully the gear indicator DONT BEND ANYTHING, 7/32" tiny bolt holds the indicator plastic anchor to the steering column, undo this first, pull it gently free towards the passenger side (plastic fits in slots) and then disconnect the little red cable from the hook. DON"T BEND THE PLASTIC TUBE--it will break if it isn't already broken from age.

Disconnect steering column.

Passenger side airbag will have to come out, easy.

Pay attention to what bolts come out where from the dash. Different lengths and sizes of bolts. If like a cv, theres one on the drivers side that is hidden behind a round hole. While you don't have to remove the dash, like a box, you need to loosen it to gain space--but unlike the box, when you loosen the whale dash you can actually move it around.

Engine side, pretty easy also, the blower resistor will be something you curse at considering its crammed in there. The junkyard car already was missing the wheel well liner, and had no heads anymore, so what I did had a lot more elbow room. But, it all came apart rather easy.

I'm trying to remember but there is a bolt/screw that either has to come out from the engine side, or theres a nut on the passenger side that has to come out, its not readily obvious, but some persistant gentle pulling will let you narrow down on it quick. I had the thing taken apart in less than 20 minutes the first time (again, autowreckers, so I didn't worry about scratching anything).

As I keep repeating, if you have done a heater core r&r on a box, the whale is going to be super easy. Yeah, few more things to remove, but it all comes apart real easy.

One other thing of note, there is a wiring harness at the top right of the dash (closest to the door window corner) that is secured to the dash and it basically fits in a slot--pay attention when you put it back together you don't crush any wires here, as the harness has only one place it can safely sit. On a vic, there happens to also be a ground junction inside the harness here.

I'm sure I forgot something, but if it doesn't move, you missed a bolt.

[just sunk in you have a town car, doing some editing.]
    Last edited by GM_Guy; 06-11-2021, 06:18 PM.

Comment

It seems from the book that the TC evaporator is serviced from the engine side. I had not heard of that till I looked it up.
      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

If it's really serviced from the engine bay, that may require engine out.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I know 86VickyLX has done evap cores before, but I don't know how new. Pretty sure they do come out from the engine bay side though.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

oh... evap... brain fart. Yes... engine side. Have to split the air plenum along that seem and remove the blower side IIRC. On the newer stuff I think there's a lot of foam in there to deal with too.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

yes replacing the foam most likely has to be done. I really have no idea what to use.
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Would the foam that is used for house window sealing/window a/c sealing work? Stuff I am thinking about is made by "Duck" Comes in different sizes. Most of the choices have adhesive backing on one side which would aid in installation I would think.

Comment

Working...
                X