5.0/aod is going out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5.0/aod is going out

So ive been having issues with trans not shifting ( not slipping) its related to the tv cable i could never get it adjusted correctly. me being cheap never really got it fixed, well now my trans is slipping really bad and 2 of my cylinders are at <80 on a compression check. I do have a spare 4.8 gm motor and th400 trans just laying in the garage but havent seen many people ls swapping this car. Is the reason just because of the sin of throwing a gm engine in a ford? ive been looking for a decent 351w but cant find any here in the pnw for a good price, i can get another 5.0 but id rather just swap the 4.8 in there since i already have it.

just curious has anyone swapped a ls based engine in? looks to be the same mounts as a fox body so was just thinking about using those for the swap and making my own trans cross member.

If you have the fabrication skills to make your own crossmember I don't see a reason you can't physically do this swap. Very much of the swap info that applies to this swap in a fox body will likely apply to a panther as well.
    Beyond the reluctance of putting a GM powertrain into a Ford, these cars generally aren't owned by people with the resources to do such a swap (could be speaking for myself). Although I'm certain an LS swap has been done, but not by anyone on this forum as far as I know.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

TV cable will have nothing to do with low compression, but low compression will make the engine run poorly and seem like the trans doesn't work well. 3 and 4 are directly locked so any poor running habits are very obvious.

No problem on the 4.8, but I wouldn't use a TH400. Not enough gears. Assuming they even fit together, the TH400 went out of production a long time before the LS family was invented. I'd mate that to a 4L60e and roll with it if you're gonna. Standard grumblings about putting a GM engine in a Ford though. It ain't natural.

engine mounts are completely different than Fox ones so those won't be useful.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
      X