4.6 NPI intake replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4.6 NPI intake replacement

1996 CVPI. with the factory NPI intake. I was going to upgrade using a Motorcraft PI intake kit. According to what I knew, it would work. I ran the plan by my mechanic who is excellent. He did research on the swap and the problems people were having. The number one problem was leaks. He strongly advised me not to do the upgrade unless I wanted to change to PI heads.
    Now my plan is to use a NPI Motorcraft replacement with the metal crossover. According to Ford, it is no longer available. The part number that was given to me is F8AZ9424AAA. That is the full kit.
    If the Genuine Ford intake is not available I will have to go with a aftermarket kit. I do NOT want to use Dorman unless there is no other choice. Has anyone had first hand experience with a aftermarket intake with a good warranty ?
    I have the full plastic intake that was replaced under warranty many years ago. It won't last long. The tube under it is starting to leak too. That is still available.

You should be able to use the PI gaskets on the NPI heads and not have to risk a bunch of RTV to seal it up.

Here is a thread I saved from when I did it on my 95 T-Bird--> https://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/...59#Post1503859
    These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

No leaks on mine. Used 1W7Z-9424-AAA intake kit. And 1W7Z-18663-AA is the PI heater hose.

PI swapped from NPI. Just need to RTV the water jacket holes on both heads done.

Used PI gaskets. To keep them in place I made alignment studs cutting down some spare intake bolts. For the DPFE I ziptied it to the intake manifold wire loom holes as the PI heater tube doesn't have the mount for it like the NPI one did.

The real pain in the butt issue is the alternator bracket. The best option is the Dorman universal one which you really can only get either new with a manifold or go to a junkyard and find one. You might be able to drill the appropriate holes on the og bracket but the Dorman one is bolt on without thinking as it has the 3g alternator mount and the angled mounts for the sparkplug wire loom holder.

What the bracket looks like:
      Last edited by Pvt.Hudson; 06-24-2021, 07:28 PM.
      1997 Grand Marquis LS HPP
      2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

- Richard

Comment

Oh since its a 1996, your gonna need the water pump nipple. F75Z-8555-AA is for 98+ but it will fit and is required for the PI heater tube.
        1997 Grand Marquis LS HPP
        2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

- Richard

Comment

Nice pics there .... I know a lot of fellows did PI intakes onto NPI heads successfully.
          No ... I'm not arguing with you ... I'm just explaining why I'm right ...

Now go ... and whatever you do ... have a safe trip!

Comment

Working...
          X