Low pitch hum/whine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low pitch hum/whine

On my 87 GM, there's a sound and I'm not sure exactly how to describe it but it sounds like a low pitched hum or whine. It sort of sounds like a little electric motor is running when the car is on. I don't think it's coming from the accessory pulleys because it continues for a half a second after the key is turned off and the engine stops.

I checked and it's not the blower fan for the vent/AC. It's not coming from the radio either.

Any ideas on what it might be?

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

The 87 has 2 fuel pumps. Could it be the pump on the frame rail?

Comment

not a twin pump design on these. Pump should be stopped as soon as the key is off anyway

PS pumps make weird noises sometimes, so do smog pumps

pull the belts and see if it goes away. If it does, put one belt back on and see which one makes the noise come back, then spin the stuff on that side.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

PS reservoir was actually a bit low on fluid so I topped it off.

Sound stopped for now (not sure if it was before or after PS fluid added..)

Hopefully that was it and it won't come back and bite me in the ass randomly down the road.

Thanks.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

if the fluid is really dark and nasty you wouldn't do it any harm to empty out what you can and top it off with fresh Type F. Have to do that a few times to get it somewhat flushed but I've found that once the fluid is more brown than red the pumps get noisy.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
          X