No announcement yet.

My 1983 Continental Mark VI!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the topic of starting my ‘01 and ‘03 Town Car’s allowed you to just turn the key to start and they would automatically crank until the engine started. Dad’s 2012 Mustang does the same thing and so did my 2013 Chrysler 200.

I don’t know if that’s something in there for remote start or what? None of the above mentioned vehicles were equipped with remote start.
    2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

Comment

my truck does the same thing, also doesn't have remote start though it was an option. I think its more about the security system. The PCM gets input from the key and if it agrees that conditions are right it turns on the starter. Its no real effort for the mfg to take over control of when to disengage the starter to keep it from being run too long. I've never tried it, but I fully suspect if you hit the key in a newer vehicle while its running, the PCM will not try to engage the starter. I can see the mfg doing that to extend the life of the starter and avoid flexplate damage just so they don't have to worry about replacing them under warranty if people do something dumb.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        my truck does the same thing, also doesn't have remote start though it was an option. I think its more about the security system. The PCM gets input from the key and if it agrees that conditions are right it turns on the starter. Its no real effort for the mfg to take over control of when to disengage the starter to keep it from being run too long. I've never tried it, but I fully suspect if you hit the key in a newer vehicle while its running, the PCM will not try to engage the starter. I can see the mfg doing that to extend the life of the starter and avoid flexplate damage just so they don't have to worry about replacing them under warranty if people do something dumb.
        That does make sense.
        2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

​

Comment

It’s been a busy day. I worked 9 hours if you can call selling auto parts of dubious foreign origin to customers of dubious intelligence work.

Then I came home and washed both cars, conditioned the leather, and 303 aerospace’d everything else including the top on the Mark VI. That’s about enough for today.

Next week will probably be tires for the Mark VI plenty of tread on them but there are signs of dry rot starting to set in.

​

Comment

Tires on my Mark VII are kind of the same, but I will ignore that until next year. I've rarely worn tires out, they usually age out. Pretty annoying replacing tires that aren't at least getting somewhere near the wear bars but thats just what it is.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Tires on my Mark VII are kind of the same, but I will ignore that until next year. I've rarely worn tires out, they usually age out. Pretty annoying replacing tires that aren't at least getting somewhere near the wear bars but thats just what it is.
              The dry rot is just barely starting to show and the tread is like new, I could probably get by until I park it for winter but better safe than sorry. I figure I also may as well do it now when I a have the money. Who knows what my financial situation will be like in a year, not that I have doubts just that one never really knows.

​

Comment

This.
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Well I have one friend that's always willing to pay a couple bucks for old 15" tires to eventually turn them to noise and smoke.
                  1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                  1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post
                    Well I have one friend that's always willing to pay a couple bucks for old 15" tires to eventually turn them to noise and smoke.
                    I need one of those friends.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I put a set of cheap Douglas 215/70/15’s on the Mark VI today. I have the same tires in 225/60/16 on the LSE and after a year and a half and 20,000 miles they’re barely worn. I got them from Walmart for $51 each plus I had a $100 Walmart gift card I used. I have a buddy who works for a local tire shop and he mounted and balanced them for free.

I’m in the whole set for something like $115.

​

Comment

I've run those before and had good luck. They were made in USA at that point.
                        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                          I've run those before and had good luck. They were made in USA at that point.
                          According to what I've read they're still made in the USA by Goodyear exclusively for Walmart.

​

Comment

It's been almost two weeks since I replaced the Duraspark module and cleaned the connections on the crank position sensor. I haven't had a no start or hard start condition since. That must have done it. I do have a NOS Motorcraft crank sensor sitting here just in case I need it down the road.

​

Comment

Good deal. This information will probably come in handy for someone who runs into this issue.
                              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                                Good deal. This information will probably come in handy for someone who runs into this issue.
                                Hopefully it can help someone out. I don’t think there are many people out there that know how to work on CFI especially EEC III CFI. We have a machine at work to test the modules but nobody knows how to operate it and I’ve read that sometimes bad modules test good, mainly because they fail when hot then work again when they cool off.

I had a bad TFI module on my ‘88 that did that. But over the years I’ve seen a lot of posts online that say when a EEC III CFI vehicle has starting or stalling issues it’s usually the ignition module.

​

Comment

Working...
                                X