No announcement yet.

My 1983 Continental Mark VI!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As long as someone hasn't swapped it, you should have 10". Police and wagons had 11".
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Wagons and most tow package sedans also got the 11" drums.

Someone on here had an odd duck regular sedan with them. And I had a tow package sedan without.

I'd pull a wheel and check if I were you.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I'm never doing drum brakes again! To hell with that shit. I've never even seen drum brakes other than in photos, the first side took me four and a half hours of videos, phone calls, and trial and error to figure out. The second side took an hour but it was still no fun. I did at least replace all the hardware and self adjusters. The wheel cylinders and the drums themselves were fine, the passenger side basically disintegrated when I pulled the drum off. I'd say that was my problem. The drivers side was in pretty good shape.
        Last edited by mercurygm88; 08-06-2022, 02:20 PM.
        2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

Comment

Well at least you did not give up and got the job done. That is how to learn.

Comment

Honestly the worst part was keeping the parking brake lever that goes between the two shoes in place. Once I got that lined up everything went pretty smooth.
            2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

​

Comment

Originally posted by mercurygm88 View Post
              Honestly the worst part was keeping the parking brake lever that goes between the two shoes in place. Once I got that lined up everything went pretty smooth.
              Legit. Can vouch.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I think the trick to that is adjusting the starwheel out a good bit. I don't recall having to touch drummies on a box, but I have on a '92 F150. Redid the whole system from the backing plates forward. Funny, I love drum brakes. I usually leave one side together as I rehab the other.
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

They are generally a PITA plus I am getting a bit old to pound off the drums that are rusted in place. Also I know some folks swear by self adjusters, i sometimes swear at them. I know big deal, jack up the car and adjust the rear brakes periodically it is just like fetching water from the well.
                  03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                  02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                  08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                  12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I do really like my all disc brake vehicles. The parking brake that's essentially a drum brake I can deal with. Those are usually less troublesome than full on drum brakes.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Actually the drums slid right off. And even though this thing is rust free even underneath the passenger side hardware and shoes basically disintegrated in my hands. The driver side held together a little too well.

I did the front pads the next day just so I would know everything was good plus it only took like an hour. The pads were like new but the pad material was riveted to the backing plates. I’ve never seen brake pads like that before.

​

Comment

That is all I buy are the riveted brake linings/pads for drum or disc brakes. Maybe now bonded linings/pads have better "glue" but many years ago they didn't. If a pad or lining came loose, it would mess things up badly. More attention is needed with riveted linings/pads wear due to rivets. Don't want rivets scoring the drums or rotors.

Comment

Actually the drums slid right off...
                          They were out of adjustment then.

When done right and on there for awhile, the shoes tend to wear a little groove in the drum. This makes getting the drums off a bit of a challenge. Luckily, Ford gave us an access slot for adjustment, which you can also use to back the shoes off. This is of course if the stuff isn't rusted together.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                            That is all I buy are the riveted brake linings/pads for drum or disc brakes. Maybe now bonded linings/pads have better "glue" but many years ago they didn't. If a pad or lining came loose, it would mess things up badly. More attention is needed with riveted linings/pads wear due to rivets. Don't want rivets scoring the drums or rotors.
                            I’ve only been working on cars for about 15 years now and I have never seen riveted pads before just shoes. We don’t even sell them at work nor can we order them. My manager has been in the business for 25 years and said he’s never seen them either. In fact I can’t find anyone who’s seen riveted pads except online. The internet seems to concur that at one point people at least believed they were superior to bonded pads, but I’ve yet to find a single report of bonded pads coming off the backing plate.
                            Last edited by mercurygm88; 08-12-2022, 01:09 AM.

​

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                              They were out of adjustment then.

When done right and on there for awhile, the shoes tend to wear a little groove in the drum. This makes getting the drums off a bit of a challenge. Luckily, Ford gave us an access slot for adjustment, which you can also use to back the shoes off. This is of course if the stuff isn't rusted together.
                              Drums are weird and I don’t trust them. That being said they were working awfully good for being out of adjustment. That is until about 100 miles before I changed then when the internals of the passenger side drum disassembled themselves/disintegrated. When I first installed the new pads and hardware I didn’t have them adjusted right and you could certainly tell. I went back and correctly adjusted them last night and my braking has greatly improved.

​

Comment

I’ve only been working on cars for about 15 years now and I have never seen riveted pads before just shoes. We don’t even sell them at work nor can we order them. My manager has been in the business for 25 years and said he’s never seen them either. In fact I can’t find anyone who’s seen riveted pads except online. The internet seems to concur that at one point people at least believed they were superior to bonded pads, but I’ve yet to find a single report of bonded pads coming off the backing plate.
                                My '69 Plymouth had drums on all four corners. If I remember right, every pad was bonded to the shoe and each one was detached. Guess they've got a shelf life. I do get a little leery when I get handed bonded shoes, but I've installed them before. I've also installed riveted shoes, which I trust a bit more. But yeah, decreased life as you've now got a rivet eating valuable pad real estate. I'm not THAT old, but I suspect your manager hasn't put much time in with a wrench while not behind the counter.

Drums are weird and I don’t trust them. That being said they were working awfully good for being out of adjustment. That is until about 100 miles before I changed then when the internals of the passenger side drum disassembled themselves/disintegrated. When I first installed the new pads and hardware I didn’t have them adjusted right and you could certainly tell. I went back and correctly adjusted them last night and my braking has greatly improved.
                                Unless the starwheel suddenly rusted apart, I question how well they were working since you were able to slide the drums right off. When they're right, you should have minimal pedal travel and yeah, noticeably good brakes, or better brakes if you adjusted ones that were out of adjustment.

They're only weird because they're new to you and a better alternative exists. For decades and even still today, they are a good choice for many applications.
                                My first experience with drum brakes on a daily driver was with my 1994 Grand Am. Needed front brakes, so I pad slapped it. About ten thousand miles later, needed brakes again, so I ripped the rears apart. Found the problem, rears weren't doing squat- drums slid right off and were rusty where the shoes should have been making contact. Once fixed, wow that thing stopped great. Seeing as it was my first car, WTF did I know about brakes and general expectations of stopping power?

Comment

Working...
                                X