No announcement yet.

My 1983 Continental Mark VI!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting. I’m not 100% sure how the system works on EEC-III CFI. I know the manifold end is a little loose on my Mark VI, I didn’t really get in there far enough to see how it’s connected, but there is definitely some air flow through the tube.

Then there’s the vacuum actuated flap in the air cleaner housing. I didn’t trace the vacuum line to see where it goes. All of the hoses and lines on the car look like they’ve been replaced in the last few years and I don’t have any known leaks.

It seems to me that the flap springs open under no vacuum, therefore at cold engine temps vacuum would pull the flap shut. Then it would open when the engine warms up. I have no clue what actually controls vacuum to the flaps actuator.
    2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

Comment

should be a temperature controlled vacuum valve in the air cleaner assembly to do that. Usually its the thing the vacuum line plugs in to.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        should be a temperature controlled vacuum valve in the air cleaner assembly to do that. Usually its the thing the vacuum line plugs in to.
        It appears that the little flap in the air cleaner assembly is staying open all the time. Probably not worth the time and expense to try to fix. I believe it's riveted on there.
        Last edited by mercurygm88; 09-12-2021, 07:36 AM.
        2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

​

Comment

open pulls air that is heated by the manifold or cold from engine bay?
          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
            open pulls air that is heated by the manifold or cold from engine bay?
            When the flap is open it pulls air through the intake tube running to the front of the car, I believe it still also pulls some heated air from the manifold, it doesn't appear that the flap seals that passage off. When the engine is cold the flap should close and draw mainly from the tube going to the manifold. I'm sure it's not an air tight seal.

At least that's how it seems that it should work to me.
            Last edited by mercurygm88; 09-12-2021, 10:43 AM.

​

Comment

ok so open is fine except when engine is cold in cold weather.
              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                ok so open is fine except when engine is cold in cold weather.
                Yes. I don’t think there’s much chance of getting it to close though, not really intending to drive it in any cold weather anyway. It’s going into hibernation as soon as salt season hits.

​

Comment

I washed the Mark Vi last night and snapped a few pictures today.

The poverty cluster

No auto lamp either

​

Comment

"..The poverty cluster.." LoL. It is the first thing I look for when coming across a box Lincoln. WHen I was a kid, they were everywhere, thought they were standard.. Now? I hardly see them.

Car needs some lacy spokes and it would look pretty swank.
                    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                      "..The poverty cluster.." LoL. It is the first thing I look for when coming across a box Lincoln. WHen I was a kid, they were everywhere, thought they were standard.. Now? I hardly see them.

Car needs some lacy spokes and it would look pretty swank.
                      I call it the poverty cluster because the digi dash was standard on the Mark VI and whoever ordered this car deleted it for a credit. I believe it was an option on all Town Cars except it may have been standard on Cartiers. It's a weirdly optioned base model, it has the stainless lower trim from a Signature Series, and leather which was a no cost option. Power passenger seat, which I've surprisingly seen one without. I've only seen one or two others online without autolamp I do wish the 82 and 83 cars would have kept the extra wood grain trim that was below the armrests on 80 and 81 cars but that's a minor thing. I forgot to take a pic of it but the glovebox on this one is just barely starting to sag, no cracking at all on the drivers armrest. The dash pad is perfect minus some cracking in the speaker grills.

Lacy spokes or turbines would be nice but I don't really have a huge problem with the hub caps. At least they aren't plastic.
                      Last edited by mercurygm88; 09-14-2021, 11:22 AM.

​

Comment

Wheel covers. Your car has wheel covers

Yah, probably some old guy bought it custom and was all like "I ain't dealin' with no fancy digi dash." I've seen quite a few box townies with no power passenger seat and the base interior as well as the full poverty roof. Surprised full valino wasn't an option, but I rather like the 1/2.

Comment

Wheel covers. Your car has wheel covers

Yah, probably some old guy bought it custom and was all like "I ain't dealin' with no fancy digi dash." I've seen quite a few box townies with no power passenger seat and the base interior as well as the full poverty roof. Surprised full valino wasn't an option, but I rather like the 1/2.
                          Yes those are wheel covers.

Did they ever make a slick top Town Car? From what I can find all Mark VI's got some kind of vinyl top. Or by poverty roof do you mean the full vinyl top? I kind of like those personally but I'm not sure if it was available on the Mark VI. I know one for at least one model year the Bill Blass Mark VI was available without the opera windows, which I personally feel ruins the whole look. I kind of figured the same thing, someone who was afraid of anything new and fancy ordered it. Then again the Marti report says it was one of 270 cars identically optioned, but I suppose there were only so many ways to option a car and quite a few had to be identical.
                          Last edited by mercurygm88; 09-14-2021, 01:25 PM.

​

Comment

Nope, and they have some weird lines under there too. Saw one at a yard once without the roof and it looked like it was scalped. Yea, meant the full vinyl top, the one where the coach lamps look weird and with the weird rear window. I like them for the weird rear window. I like the opera windows. Not as cool as with the Mark V's or the two door VI's but gives it a different look.

Hmm, my car is supposedly 1/43. And I think the way Kevin does his reports, that only accounts for Interior/Exterior color combinations and trim level. Even if it does encompass everything, 270 cars isn't a whole lot.

Comment

Nope, and they have some weird lines under there too. Saw one at a yard once without the roof and it looked like it was scalped. Yea, meant the full vinyl top, the one where the coach lamps look weird and with the weird rear window. I like them for the weird rear window. I like the opera windows. Not as cool as with the Mark V's or the two door VI's but gives it a different look.

Hmm, my car is supposedly 1/43. And I think the way Kevin does his reports, that only accounts for Interior/Exterior color combinations and trim level. Even if it does encompass everything, 270 cars isn't a whole lot.
                              I’m not 100% sure how the reports break down. I thought it was identical cars, my dads Mustang came back as 1/6, and I’ve seen quite a few 1/1 reports on older cars. 270 isn’t a whole lot, but then again there were only about 18,000 Mark VI sedans made in 83 and only about 130,000 overall.

My LSE isn’t terribly common either. 2001-05. 04’s were Canada only and 05’s didn’t have the center console. I’d have to look the website up again and add them up but out of nearly 400,000 Grand Marquis’ built from 01-04 just over 10k had the center console. Of course mine came from the year with the highest production.

​

Comment

There is an option you can pick to try and drill it down to 1/1 or as close to it as possible. I forget what its called but if you poke around the site you'll see it. The standard report just gives you some stats. I have seen the 1/1 type reports and it gets into things like what radio was ordered. Stuff where out of 45 cars that had this paint and that engine and whatever, only THIS one had the AM/8 track option.
                                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                                X