My 1983 Continental Mark VI!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
    Did the stem with the crown pull out or just the crown come off ? If just the crown, it might screw on or is pressed on. Epoxy may work if it is pressed on. If the stem came out with the crown, I would have to see the end. Sometimes if it is like a watch, it can be pushed back in.
    The whole stem came out and since it appears to be metal I'm kind of surprised it did. it almost looks like there are splines on the very end, I'm guessing even if it is a press fit and I can get it to go back in it may just come right back out. Something in the mechanism is spring loaded to pull the stem back in when your not setting the clock, so if I do get it pushed back in the next time I go to set it I'm thinking that spring pressure may just pop it apart as I've probably messed up that press fit.

I didn't see a groove for an e clip or anything like that but I will take a closer look when I get the chance.
    Last edited by mercurygm88; 03-15-2022, 03:18 PM.
    2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

Comment

Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post
      Perhaps some really close up photos may assist in a diagnosis. Is it possible to find another clock? Haven't looked on EBAY but there or another site that deals in junk cars/parts may help.
      It probably is but I really have no interest in pulling that cluster again. The speedometer cable fought me for an hour last time, and I still haven't attempted to unhook the gear indicator cable.
      Last edited by mercurygm88; 03-15-2022, 03:17 PM.
      2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

​

Comment

Does anyone here know if it would be even remotely possible for a power antenna motor to create a constant battery draw considering it’s operated by a switch?

The reason I ask is that twice in the past month I’ve had the less than a year old interstate battery in the Mark VI go dead over night. The first time was the day after I installed the NOS antenna motor.

Battery and alternator both test good. If it’s not the antenna motor I’m probably just going to put a battery disconnect on it. Should only be a minor inconvenience considering it’s not a daily driver.

​

Comment

Well, based on that information it is certainly suspect. Try disconnecting it and see if anything changes.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I’ll unplug it when I go to charge the battery today. We’ll see how things go after that.

​

Comment

Would there not be a live feed to the switch (has to be)? Perhaps if the antenna motor is the draw, that is where the issue is.
              What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
              What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Would there not be a live feed to the switch (has to be)? Perhaps if the antenna motor is the draw, that is where the issue is.
                I suppose it's possible. This is the antenna motor that came in the car when I bought it, at the time it was unplugged and the fuse was removed. I replaced the fuse and plugged it in to find it did not work. So I replaced it with a NOS one I found online and that one quit about a month ago. I was able to get the original going by lubricating it. The morning after I installed it the battery was dead. Then all was fine for about 3 weeks, a week ago the battery went dead again, and then it went dead over the last two nights.

​

Comment

I'd start by examining the wiring up to the switch.

Comment

The early power antennas had limit switches in them to turn it off once it gets to end of travel so it *shouldn't* run the batt down but no guarantees. If that switch were leaking current it might act up, and if its not the original style then all bets are off. There is also a special control relay, or at least my 84 has one. If that had some problem it might create draw. See if the relay is warm.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

You may have a bad dash switch.

Comment

It only does it with the motor that originally came in the car, or at least the one that was in it when I bought it. Never had a problem with the NOS one I got on eBay until it quit operating.

The motor on the eBay unit runs but the antenna doesn’t extend or retract, it gave up about a month ago. The one that came in the car wasn’t working when I bought it but I was able to get it going. I charged and tested the battery yesterday at work. I won’t have time to mess with anything until this evening.

I’m starting to wonder if it’s even related to the antenna. My ‘88 MGM had a constant battery draw pop up at one point, I put a disconnect on it and a few months later it was fine. I drove it two more years without ever having the issue again. Never did figure that one out.
                        Last edited by mercurygm88; 05-07-2022, 07:05 AM.

​

Comment

Guess if you previously had a parasitic draw that sort of puts a "monkey wrench" into the diagnosis.

Comment

Guess if you previously had a parasitic draw that sort of puts a "monkey wrench" into the diagnosis.
                            The previous draw was with a different vehicle nearly 10 years ago. But it was an intermittent issue. The issue with the Mark VI didn't appear until I put the original antenna motor back in. But when I bought the car that motor was unplugged and the fuse removed. I have had the draw with the eBay replacement. Just once I put the original back in.

This car gets driven a couple times a week in nice weather. Putting a battery disconnect on it isn't a huge issue.

​

Comment

Sorry - got my "wires crossed" on what car the issue was with.

Comment

So one of my rear brakes is making noise. I’m going to tear into that next week. I went to order shoes and ran into the old 10” or 11” drum issue. Is it for sure one or the other or am I going to have to measure to be sure? I feel like when I had my ‘88 MGM I read that only police package Vic’s had 11” drinks but I could be wrong.

​

Comment

Working...
                                X