No announcement yet.

My 1983 Continental Mark VI!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember many years ago, when a person ordered brake linings/pads the least expensive parts would be the bonded type. Great for vehicle resale or the economy minded. I had to replace all brake linings on a 59 Ford. I put bonded on for resale. $6.00 per axle if I remember right. The riveted type was more expensive and mostly top brands. Old brake linings sometimes had to be turned in as cores to be rebuilt. Our 1960 Studebaker was that way. I had a 69 Dodge pickup that had the rear bonded linings come apart when I was on the highway going from Long Beach to San Diego. I did not notice anything wrong until I arrived. Brake fade,very hot wheel and totally destroyed the brake components, plus the axle seal. That experience made me buy the riveted type whenever available. I will admit that my experiences in working with vehicles goes back 50 years or more. Lot of things have changed and parts are much cheaper quality now.

Comment

only thing I own with drums anymore is my truck. They didn't work when I got it, shoes had been changed and never adjusted out enough for the self-adjust to work. Fixed that, good to go. One major advantage to drums, the parking brake is way better using a full size shoe vs the baby drum inside the disc thing. Maybe not a big deal on a car, but in a truck on a boat ramp thats pretty damn important.

drums are sort of annoying because of all the parts inside but not really all that hard. Best advice I can offer with drums, do one side at a time and use the other for reference.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

They seemed to fix that issue in the later ones. The double shoe clamping force inside the rotors on the rear holds my expedition good enough that it takes a LOT of revs to overcome it. Do have to manually adjust those bastards though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

my only real experience with them is the rear discs on a Towncar, and as a parking brake it kind of sucks. The stupid clampy cable caliper nonsense the other two have sucks in different ways, not the least of which is the calipers more expensive. Towncar rear caliper is like 25 bucks, Mark VII rear is 50 bucks, the Conti is NLA. If one of them ever gives me problems I will have to rebuild it myself. Last I remember seeing a listing it was like 100 bucks.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I did a thing today.

2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

Comment

A warm air intake!

I'd powerwash that engine bay, I'm getting choked up with dust and dirt all the way over here.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I think that bay is pretty clean. Just a bit old. Kind of like me.
                03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                  I think that bay is pretty clean. Just a bit old. Kind of like me.
                  It is pretty clean, just old.
                  2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                    A warm air intake!

Well you see the factory air box snorkel disintegrated within a month of me buying the car. This looks better and can't be any worse. There's how many millions of engines out there with them?

I'd power wash that engine bay, I'm getting choked up with dust and dirt all the way over here.
                    This engine bay is actually really clean in person.

Comment

Originally posted by mercurygm88 View Post
                      This engine bay is actually really clean in person.
                      Derek's just rubbing in the fact that he puts shoe shine or whatever on his entire gleaming, auto-show-worthy engine bay. Yours looks really good for a driver.

Mine are all disgusting.

Current driver: Ranger
                      Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                      | 88 TC | 91 GM
                      Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                      Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                      | Junkyards

Comment

Wow, "auto show worthy" huh? You are too kind, thank you sir.
                        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Does anybody know what the correct idle is supposed to be for an EEC III CFI 5.0? Mine is at about 550 and sounds like it's awful high. People on other forums are saying 700-800 in park, I don't think so.

Comment

IDK those cars in specific but 550 is generally a low end idle speed in park. What are you using to verify speed?
                            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

typical idle on a V8 of any make or induction system is in the 700 range. Agree it sounds like your tach is lying.

Comment

Idle in park for SEFI cars is 675 +/- 50 rpm so most people shoot for 700 and will take 650. I'm sure CFI should be similar.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                                Originally posted by gadget73
                                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                                Originally posted by dmccaig
                                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                                X