No announcement yet.

My 1983 Continental Mark VI!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve been lazy. I checked all the fluids in the Lincoln for the first time in three weeks tonight, I was doing it every few days when I first bought it.

It still doesn’t seem to leak anything or burn any oil which is nice. Having two cars that don’t burn or leak anything is kind of impressive when one is 19 years old and the other is 38.

So much for that “All Ford’s leak oil!” B.S. that I’ve heard my whole life.
    2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

Comment

every car with bad gaskets leaks oil. I've always made it a point to fix leaks so I don't have to mess with it. A random drop here or there I can tolerate but I don't want a lake of dead dinosaur under my cars.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

If the oil is fresh in your '83, that'll probably explain why it hasn't started burning it yet. Between Ashley and I, we've had three 302 boxes ('85, '88 and '89) and every one of them burned oil, but never at first. Usually had to go about 1,000 to 1,500 miles into an oil change before any loss.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

if I had something that burned oil at that rate I'd replace the engine.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
            If the oil is fresh in your '83, that'll probably explain why it hasn't started burning it yet. Between Ashley and I, we've had three 302 boxes ('85, '88 and '89) and every one of them burned oil, but never at first. Usually had to go about 1,000 to 1,500 miles into an oil change before any loss.
            I'm about 2200 miles into this oil change and still good on oil level.
            2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

​

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              if I had something that burned oil at that rate I'd replace the engine.
              There's a technical bulletin on it, a member posted it. Some engines were just that shitty from the factory. I think that's the reason they've got a "CHECK OIL" sticker right in the fuel door.

Maybe they don't like the synthetic oil I use? Not sure, my 350 Tibbie engine in my truck loves it. This past oil change it went 5,000 miles and used maybe half a quart to do so. Never added any, that makes me pretty ecstatic. Our cars get the same stuff- Shell Rotella T6, 5W-40.

Whatever it is, it doesn't explain why they things will go some 1,500 miles before any oil burn. Like, what changed chemistry wise in the oil for consumption to begin happening?

Comment

I know Ford says its acceptable, but I wouldn't put up with it personally. No idea why it happens but given the choice of checking oil regularly or replacing an engine, I'll go for the engine.

Comment

Jeez, that's too spendy for my blood. I've always just been in the habit of checking the oil every time I get gas, least with old shit and old shit is all I drive.

Comment

Neither of my 302s used a drop of oil between changes.
                    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                    2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                    Past Panthers
                    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Must've had a few of the good ones.

Comment

Every 302 I've had used about half a quart between oil changes... unless leaking. My mod motors are about the same.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The ‘88 Grand Marquis used about having a quart between changes.

Same with my ‘95. The ‘01 and ‘03 Town Cars didn’t use any and neither does the ‘02 Grand Marquis.

Now that I’ve found the stash of service records in the Lincoln and can verify it only had 34,000 miles on it I wouldn’t expect it to use or leak any oil. Then again one would think having that low of mileage that it would have sat for some time at one point and that could’ve caused issues.

It turns out there was a folder in the glove box full of oil change and other receipts going back to 1985. The guy I bought the car from only had it a month and was never in the glove box.

He said it was locked and the key was wrong, turns out either the key or lock is just a bit worn out. I found all kinds of good stuff in there.

​

Comment

I love finding treasure troves of information. My Lincoln did not have such trove, despite buying it from the original owner. He even trashed the window sticker.

Comment

That’s one thing I’ve never found is a window sticker. Other than the Mark VI the 88 Grand Marquis was the only oneI had detailed records for. I have a pile of receipts for the 02 LSE but they only go back to about 2013.

I kind of wish I had ordered Marti reports on the 01 and 03 Town cars, even if there were thousands that were optioned the same it would be neat to have.

I still have the owners manuals with VIN tags for my 95 and 88 Grand Marquis’, so I could still get those.

​

Comment

Yah from the Marti report I deduced my Town Car was a special order.

Comment

Working...
                                X