No announcement yet.

My 1983 Continental Mark VI!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought a Gentex 455 with compass to refit in my 1988 Town Car. The compass is built into the mirror and calibrated itself after 1 trip around the block.

There may be different color options for the compass, mine fortunately came in teal matching the rest of the dash lights, I got it on eBay for $25 removed from some Mazda, newer panther cars maybe the compass is green?

I took 12V in accessory from the same wire to my trunk popper button, but only because I didn't know at the time, under my driver footwell carpet there is the three wire plug for the factory auto dim mirror harness. It has 12V in run, ground, and 12v in reverse wires (Reverse sense force disables the dimming). If this connector is present in your car, it's the correct thing to pin into.

My 88's original mirror had a plastic button on the windshield incompatible with the new mirror, which thankfully came with its own metal button (. It had residual glue which I got off with a heatgun and screwdriver for scraping. I picked up a Permatex mirror button adhesive kit from Walmart (Auto part stores will have the same thing) and followed its instructions to adhere the metal button to my windshield. I never hooked up reverse sense.
    Last edited by aharonLTC; 12-02-2021, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aharonLTC View Post
      I bought a Gentex 455 with compass to refit in my 1988 Town Car. The compass is built into the mirror and calibrated itself after 1 trip around the block.

There may be different color options for the compass, mine fortunately came in teal matching the rest of the dash lights, I got it on eBay for $25 removed from some Mazda, newer panther cars maybe the compass is green?

I took 12V in accessory from the same wire to my trunk popper button, but only because I didn't know at the time, under my driver footwell carpet there is the three wire plug for the factory auto dim mirror harness. It has 12V in run, ground, and 12v in reverse wires (Reverse sense force disables the dimming). If this connector is present in your car, it's the correct thing to pin into.

My 88's original mirror had a plastic button on the windshield incompatible with the new mirror, which thankfully came with its own metal button (. It had residual glue which I got off with a heatgun and screwdriver for scraping. I picked up a Permatex mirror button adhesive kit from Walmart (Auto part stores will have the same thing) and followed its instructions to adhere the metal button to my windshield. I never hooked up reverse sense.
      Thanks for the info. My Mark VI has a metal mirror button that I had to glue back on with the permatex stuff shortly after I bought the car so hopefully it will be compatible. My ‘02 LSE has the compass in green but that’s fine if it’s all I can find. I’ll have to look for that connector, the Mark VI was available with the auto dimming mirror in ‘83 so it might be there.
      Last edited by mercurygm88; 12-03-2021, 01:16 AM.
      2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

Comment

auto dim mirror is easy. Power, ground, connection to the reverse light circuit so it un-dims when backing up. If you add the compass, I assume it may also have a connection to the dash light circuit for dimming. If 83 had auto dim optional it will probably also have harness connectors with the connections already. Just need to get wires from there up the A pillar and across.
        Don't think the harness would already be run up the A pillar but I'd expect a plug somewhere down in the kick panel area.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by mercurygm88 View Post
          Suppose I grabbed a newer panther rear view mirror from a junkyard with auto dim how hard would that be to wire up? What if it also has the mirror in the compass like my LSE.

I feel like I’ve seen this mod done to boxes before.
          Gentex 313/453 will have Homelink contained on the mirror as well as a compass if you want that feature. You can usually find them on Nissans, Mazda's and Kia's. Just be sure to grab the connector and a good portion of wire. The 313 had buttons that wear out showing the the white molded buttons underneath, the 453 doesn't have that issue. The compass color depends on the make as well.

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...02-TC-or-CV-GM
          1997 Grand Marquis LS HPP
          2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

- Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Pvt.Hudson View Post
            Gentex 313/453 will have Homelink contained on the mirror as well as a compass if you want that feature. You can usually find them on Nissans, Mazda's and Kia's. Just be sure to grab the connector and a good portion of wire. The 313 had buttons that wear out showing the the white molded buttons underneath, the 453 doesn't have that issue. The compass color depends on the make as well.

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...02-TC-or-CV-GM
            Thanks for that info, homelink would be nice to have as I have it in my '02. Temp isn't required as my thermometer mirror is still pretty accurate.
            2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

​

Comment

Where would the mirror even pull the temperature from? I assume on newer cars there's an additional wire that sends that data which a Box won't have.
              1987 Lincoln Town Car - Signature, "Prudence"

Comment

Originally posted by Lutrova View Post
                Where would the mirror even pull the temperature from? I assume on newer cars there's an additional wire that sends that data which a Box won't have.
                My '02 with the outside temp display in the ATC head unit has a sensor somewhere up front, I can't remember if it's behind the grill or under the bumper. From what I've seen online if you add a mirror with temp you would also need the outside temp sensor from the vehicle that mirror came off of.

​

Comment

I replaced the hood lift supports today, Stabilus part #SG404002 if anyone needs it. The old ones wouldn't hold the hood up if the temp was below about 50, new ones almost open it automatically. Took me all of maybe ten minutes to pop the old ones off and the new ones on.

​

Comment

Good luck with those. Believe I put them on my Town Car about six or seven years ago, they went bad last year.
                    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                      Good luck with those. Believe I put them on my Town Car about six or seven years ago, they went bad last year.
                      I suppose six years isn't bad considering the quality of most after market parts these days, who knows if I'll even have this car in six years. The old ones were definitely not original and the Stabilus ones were all I could find. They have a lifetime warranty and I got both for the price of one.

​

Comment

Warranty returns are PITA. Probably have the same thing with mine, but who knows what happened to the paperwork.

For reference. the struts I put on the Firebird's hatch have been going strong for some ten years now, same with it's hood struts. Forget what the brand is on those.
                        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                          Warranty returns are PITA. Probably have the same thing with mine, but who knows what happened to the paperwork.

For reference. the struts I put on the Firebird's hatch have been going strong for some ten years now, same with it's hood struts. Forget what the brand is on those.
                          Warranty returns are pretty easy IMO. I walk into work and do a warranty replace. Even if I don’t work here then they can just look it up by phone number. We’re big on no hassle returns and warranties.

​

Comment

I put 2 sets on last year, neither of them would hold the hood up. One was brand new, one was new but had been laying around a while. Both were for steel hoods and still wouldn't hold up my aluminum hood. I've seriously considered adapting a prop rod from some cheap car.

I'll try these instead, really don't feel like having to hack things up.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              I put 2 sets on last year, neither of them would hold the hood up. One was brand new, one was new but had been laying around a while. Both were for steel hoods and still wouldn't hold up my aluminum hood. I've seriously considered adapting a prop rod from some cheap car.

I'll try these instead, really don't feel like having to hack things up.
                              I didn't realize there was an aluminum hood prior to the aero panthers. My '88 Grand Marquis had a steel hood. The Mark VI has a ridiculously heavy steel hood. I know my '95 MGM had an aluminum hood and the '02 LSE hood is aluminum. I have no clue about the '01 and '03 Town Cars but I imagine they were aluminum as well.

​

Comment

Yes, it is important to get the proper lift struts for the steel or aluminum hood. Lifetime warranty is a must. I use a broom handle as a prop rod. A high gust of wind caused one hood crash down on me. Very much an OUCH. Learned my lesson.
                                I would rather change the hinges to the type the 90 CV has with the coil spring. I understand there are mounting differences so without modification, it is not a plug and play.

Comment

Working...
                                X