PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: My 1983 Continental Mark VI!

What a Luxury car should be. mercurygm88's Avatar

On the topic of starting my Ď01 and Ď03 Town Carís allowed you to just turn the key to start and they would automatically crank until the engine started. Dadís 2012 Mustang does the same thing and so did my 2013 Chrysler 200.

I donít know if thatís something in there for remote start or what? None of the above mentioned vehicles were equipped with remote start.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

my truck does the same thing, also doesn't have remote start though it was an option. I think its more about the security system. The PCM gets input from the key and if it agrees that conditions are right it turns on the starter. Its no real effort for the mfg to take over control of when to disengage the starter to keep it from being run too long. I've never tried it, but I fully suspect if you hit the key in a newer vehicle while its running, the PCM will not try to engage the starter. I can see the mfg doing that to extend the life of the starter and avoid flexplate damage just so they don't have to worry about replacing them under warranty if people do something dumb.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    my truck does the same thing, also doesn't have remote start though it was an option. I think its more about the security system. The PCM gets input from the key and if it agrees that conditions are right it turns on the starter. Its no real effort for the mfg to take over control of when to disengage the starter to keep it from being run too long. I've never tried it, but I fully suspect if you hit the key in a newer vehicle while its running, the PCM will not try to engage the starter. I can see the mfg doing that to extend the life of the starter and avoid flexplate damage just so they don't have to worry about replacing them under warranty if people do something dumb.
    That does make sense.

Itís been a busy day. I worked 9 hours if you can call selling auto parts of dubious foreign origin to customers of dubious intelligence work.

Then I came home and washed both cars, conditioned the leather, and 303 aerospaceíd everything else including the top on the Mark VI. Thatís about enough for today.

Next week will probably be tires for the Mark VI plenty of tread on them but there are signs of dry rot starting to set in.

Tires on my Mark VII are kind of the same, but I will ignore that until next year. I've rarely worn tires out, they usually age out. Pretty annoying replacing tires that aren't at least getting somewhere near the wear bars but thats just what it is.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Tires on my Mark VII are kind of the same, but I will ignore that until next year. I've rarely worn tires out, they usually age out. Pretty annoying replacing tires that aren't at least getting somewhere near the wear bars but thats just what it is.
    The dry rot is just barely starting to show and the tread is like new, I could probably get by until I park it for winter but better safe than sorry. I figure I also may as well do it now when I a have the money. Who knows what my financial situation will be like in a year, not that I have doubts just that one never really knows.

This.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Well I have one friend that's always willing to pay a couple bucks for old 15" tires to eventually turn them to noise and smoke.
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
    2008 BMW 530d Touring, "Femma"

Quote Originally Posted by Arquemann View Post
    Well I have one friend that's always willing to pay a couple bucks for old 15" tires to eventually turn them to noise and smoke.
    I need one of those friends.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

I put a set of cheap Douglas 215/70/15ís on the Mark VI today. I have the same tires in 225/60/16 on the LSE and after a year and a half and 20,000 miles theyíre barely worn. I got them from Walmart for $51 each plus I had a $100 Walmart gift card I used. I have a buddy who works for a local tire shop and he mounted and balanced them for free.

Iím in the whole set for something like $115.

I've run those before and had good luck. They were made in USA at that point.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggie View Post
    I've run those before and had good luck. They were made in USA at that point.
    According to what I've read they're still made in the USA by Goodyear exclusively for Walmart.

It's been almost two weeks since I replaced the Duraspark module and cleaned the connections on the crank position sensor. I haven't had a no start or hard start condition since. That must have done it. I do have a NOS Motorcraft crank sensor sitting here just in case I need it down the road.

Good deal. This information will probably come in handy for someone who runs into this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    Good deal. This information will probably come in handy for someone who runs into this issue.
    Hopefully it can help someone out. I donít think there are many people out there that know how to work on CFI especially EEC III CFI. We have a machine at work to test the modules but nobody knows how to operate it and Iíve read that sometimes bad modules test good, mainly because they fail when hot then work again when they cool off.

I had a bad TFI module on my Ď88 that did that. But over the years Iíve seen a lot of posts online that say when a EEC III CFI vehicle has starting or stalling issues itís usually the ignition module.

Iíve been lazy. I checked all the fluids in the Lincoln for the first time in three weeks tonight, I was doing it every few days when I first bought it.

It still doesnít seem to leak anything or burn any oil which is nice. Having two cars that donít burn or leak anything is kind of impressive when one is 19 years old and the other is 38.

So much for that ďAll Fordís leak oil!Ē B.S. that Iíve heard my whole life.

every car with bad gaskets leaks oil. I've always made it a point to fix leaks so I don't have to mess with it. A random drop here or there I can tolerate but I don't want a lake of dead dinosaur under my cars.

If the oil is fresh in your '83, that'll probably explain why it hasn't started burning it yet. Between Ashley and I, we've had three 302 boxes ('85, '88 and '89) and every one of them burned oil, but never at first. Usually had to go about 1,000 to 1,500 miles into an oil change before any loss.

if I had something that burned oil at that rate I'd replace the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    If the oil is fresh in your '83, that'll probably explain why it hasn't started burning it yet. Between Ashley and I, we've had three 302 boxes ('85, '88 and '89) and every one of them burned oil, but never at first. Usually had to go about 1,000 to 1,500 miles into an oil change before any loss.
    I'm about 2200 miles into this oil change and still good on oil level.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast