No announcement yet.

My 1983 Continental Mark VI!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car looks great. I always preferred the Marks for the headlights.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
      Car looks great. I always preferred the Marks for the headlights.
      I have as well I just dread ever having to repair them.
      2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

Comment

Originally posted by mercurygm88 View Post
        I’m not 100% sure how the reports break down. I thought it was identical cars, my dads Mustang came back as 1/6, and I’ve seen quite a few 1/1 reports on older cars. 270 isn’t a whole lot, but then again there were only about 18,000 Mark VI sedans made in 83 and only about 130,000 overall.

My LSE isn’t terribly common either. 2001-05. 04’s were Canada only and 05’s didn’t have the center console. I’d have to look the website up again and add them up but out of nearly 400,000 Grand Marquis’ built from 01-04 just over 10k had the center console. Of course mine came from the year with the highest production.
        Yeah and ya gotta figure that most of those Mark VI's have been crushed or have rotted away by now. Yours is now rather rare. I've never seen another Townie like mine. Black ones, sure, but not with this interior color.

My dad has an '04 Lincoln LS, didn't know they were made in Canada. His is real pretty silver, Silver Birch Metallic. It's the only silver I've seen and liked, the metal flake in it is huge compared to other silvers I've seen.

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        There is an option you can pick to try and drill it down to 1/1 or as close to it as possible. I forget what its called but if you poke around the site you'll see it. The standard report just gives you some stats. I have seen the 1/1 type reports and it gets into things like what radio was ordered. Stuff where out of 45 cars that had this paint and that engine and whatever, only THIS one had the AM/8 track option.
        Oh, wish I had known that as I've done it.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I’m not 100% sure how the reports break down. I thought it was identical cars, my dads Mustang came back as 1/6, and I’ve seen quite a few 1/1 reports on older cars. 270 isn’t a whole lot, but then again there were only about 18,000 Mark VI sedans made in 83 and only about 130,000 overall.

My LSE isn’t terribly common either. 2001-05. 04’s were Canada only and 05’s didn’t have the center console. I’d have to look the website up again and add them up but out of nearly 400,000 Grand Marquis’ built from 01-04 just over 10k had the center console. Of course mine came from the year with the highest production.
          I have as well I just dread ever having to repair them.
          Good thing our man kishy has a thread about them. That or it is contained within his '84 Town Car's thread, which he converted over to eye lids.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            There is an option you can pick to try and drill it down to 1/1 or as close to it as possible. I forget what its called but if you poke around the site you'll see it. The standard report just gives you some stats. I have seen the 1/1 type reports and it gets into things like what radio was ordered. Stuff where out of 45 cars that had this paint and that engine and whatever, only THIS one had the AM/8 track option.
            For certain vehicles they offer another version of the report that's more detailed and cost a bit more. I'm pretty sure the deluxe report that I got was as high as it would let me go. When I did the report on the LSE I tried to add some option and the site said it wasn't available for that vehicle.
            2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

​

Comment

[QUOTE=DerekTheGreat;858898]Yeah and ya gotta figure that most of those Mark VI's have been crushed or have rotted away by now. Yours is now rather rare. I've never seen another Townie like mine. Black ones, sure, but not with this interior color.

My dad has an '04 Lincoln LS, didn't know they were made in Canada. His is real pretty silver, Silver Birch Metallic. It's the only silver I've seen and liked, the metal flake in it is huge compared to other silvers I've seen.

It would be interesting to know just how many Mark VI's are left. Before I came across this one I had seen one sedan with touring lights in a horrible light yellow color locally. I had also seen a green coupe parked at a local pizza shop. I never saw either again, and I don't think I've ever seen another. I remember that when I joined GMN sly had a Mark VI, and at one time sxcpotatoes had one. I honestly don't know if there are any other active members with a Mark VI anymore.
              Last edited by mercurygm88; 09-15-2021, 11:20 AM.

​

Comment

Marti Report?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I believe Mr. Sexy Spuds bought the sly one's Mark VI.. I have never seen a Mark VI in person. I wouldn't mind owning a two door. Although I think it's time for me to move on to a 1990 Town Car or a 1991-1992 Cadillac Brougham d'Elegance or 1995-1996 Mark VIII or a 1990-1992 Mark VII or 1995 or 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham, the LT1 powered variant.

Marti Reports are things you can get for Ford vehicles. Kevin Marti may do other makes but from what I remember reading, he is a Ford nut. You give him some basic info and he'll whip up some factoids about your car for you:

https://www.martiauto.com/martireports.cfm

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                    I believe Mr. Sexy Spuds bought the sly one's Mark VI.. I have never seen a Mark VI in person. I wouldn't mind owning a two door. Although I think it's time for me to move on to a 1990 Town Car or a 1991-1992 Cadillac Brougham d'Elegance or 1995-1996 Mark VIII or a 1990-1992 Mark VII or 1995 or 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham, the LT1 powered variant.

Marti Reports are things you can get for Ford vehicles. Kevin Marti may do other makes but from what I remember reading, he is a Ford nut. You give him some basic info and he'll whip up some factoids about your car for you:

https://www.martiauto.com/martireports.cfm
                    I didn't realize that was the same Mark VI, but at one time I probably knew it. I also really like the early 90's Brougham's and the Fleetwood's your talking about. The last couple of times I've seen nice ones though they sold for stupid money. Like $7500-$10,000 stupid.

​

Comment

Yeah me too, that's when Cadillac finally matched Ford by putting a proper EFI engine in them and digi dash & climate control. Although I do wish they kept the glass headlights. I'd have to retrofit an earlier nose onto one if I got one. I like the simplicity of GM TBI.

THe LT1 Cadillacs aren't bad either, that optifail ignition gets a bad rap, but deal with it and it's fine. I don't think the later cars suffer the same fate as the earlier ones either. If I went the later route, I'd miss my opera lamps.

Comment

Anybody here ever mess with the lights in the sun visors? The one on the passenger side doesn't do anything when you move the switch to the high setting, it just stays on low. Are there two little bulbs in there? Can you even get replacement bulbs that small? Also how do you get the lenses off without destroying them? It's not a huge deal but if I can get it working I'd like to.

​

Comment

If the visor lights in question are on the Lincoln, yes there are two bulbs. One on each side of each visor. There is a notch on the end of the lens. Using a screwdriver, gently pop it up and off. The bulb number should be in the owner manual. The bulb is a long one. I would put up with just the low setting. In my opinion, not worth the trouble to go further.
                          Last edited by Mainemantom; 09-23-2021, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                            If the visor lights in question are on the Lincoln, yes there are two bulbs. One on each side of each visor. There is a notch on the end of the lens. Using a screwdriver, gently pop it up and off. The bulb number should be in the owner manual. The bulb is a long one. I would put up with just the low setting. In my opinion, not worth the trouble to go further.
                            I’ll probably take a look at it anyway, both the left and right bulbs are working. I thought maybe there were two bulbs in each side a dim and a bright. But I guess it’s just one bulb and the switch varies the power to the bulb?

Maybe the switch isn’t making contact in the high position?

​

Comment

...Maybe the switch isn’t making contact in the high position?
                              That's my guess, that there is just a resistor and the switch isn't taking it out of the equation.

Comment

...I thought maybe there were two bulbs in each side a dim and a bright....
                                That's how it is in my Town Car. It seems there are at least two styles for the visor lights. Mine has two lights per side, low and high. The owner's manual lists them all as 168's. Not sure which years got which visor, but removing the plastic cover isn't too tricky. You just have to be gentle with it.
                                1987 Lincoln Town Car - Signature, "Prudence"

Comment

Working...
                                X