Installing wood grain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing wood grain

I finally scored some original wood grain for my 89 Colony Park. The drivers quarter panel was hit not once but twice and repaired with tons of bondo and the wood grain was peeling off badly because it was not prepped correctly. I stripped and repaired the quarter and I am now ready for the wood grain install. I was hoping to find a video showing how to install wood grain with a panel with multiple curves and a gas lid door opening. All I could find was a video showing a flat panel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrJXyfHscFk Every body shop I talked to won't touch it. I asked former bodymen to help and they all said "no way".
    I asked businesses that "wrap" cars and they said no. Any suggestions? WagonMan
    89 Colony Park
    90 Colony Park
    70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Enough material to use some on practice panels?
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Hey Pete try this place maybe they could give you advice https://www.stripeman.com/woodgrain-kits/

Comment

To me it would seem like a three person job. One person on each end to hold and guide and the third to bring the wood grain down. One thought would be to get someone who does wall paper to help you. WHY would not anyone want to help you do the job ? Too lazy?
        Another thought would be call an insurance company like Hagarty to see who they would recommend in your area to do that job.
        Last edited by Mainemantom; 06-30-2021, 10:49 PM.

Comment

I don't think they are lazy, it is the chance of ruining the wood grain. Most of them just say "that is a pain in the ass to do......" WagonMan
          89 Colony Park
          90 Colony Park

Comment

Lemme know how it goes, I need to do the same thing, eventually.
            1987 MGM Wagon

Comment

I have a friend that is a body man that needed a date coded alternator for a car he was restoring. I had the perfect alternator for him. I told him he had to help me with the wood grain or no part. We did it together. We soaked the car with soapy water and peeled the entire backing paper from the wood grain. Soaked that as well. We laid the wood grain starting at the top and sqeegeed the water/air bubbles out. We did NOT use heat in the critical places, as suggested from some former bodymen I talked too. It came out pretty good. A couple of tiny wrinkles in the gas door opening area. There was alot of small air bubbles that I poked with a pin and worked them out. If you are doing a whole car, start with flat areas like the doors to get a feel for it. Starting with the drivers quarter panel like we did was tough. WagonMan
              Attached Files
              89 Colony Park
              90 Colony Park

Comment

Woo Hooo
                03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Thanks for the update. I will be joining this club in the future.
                  1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

+1 nice

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                    X