PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member - hacking keyless

Default New member - hacking keyless

Hey all,

I have an 83 F250 I'm fixing up and I've snagged a keyless module from the door of an 02 Merc. Hoping to retrofit it into my old truck as I scored a set of Lariat doors from an 85. Mostly here for technical information, wiring diagrams and the like. I've really struggled to find a diagram for the 02 keyless!

Looks like this should be exactly what I needed! http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...wn-module-help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jghake; 07-08-2021 at 08:07 PM.

Nice project there. I have always liked the 3/4 and one ton 4x4 pickups.

My uncle has a 85 with 9000 miles. It's a F150 and just 2WD. But sharp with the Lariat on black with red interior. It hasn't moved from the carport since 1994. It's a shame really.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Good luck.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

2 decades of DDing Box Panthers, now in a Whale VicCrownVic's Avatar

This is a project I've considered doing on my '91 Grand Marquis. It's something I would easily be able to do but it's not anywhere close to being on my priority list so probably will not happen.
    Interesting thing to note for others considering adding keyless entry is that you do NOT want to get the module from a 1998 model year panther. In 1998 only, the only way to program/pair a key fob is to program it with software and a scan tool. For some reason I couldn't get FORScan to do it, so I swapped a module from a 2004 in and was able to add my fob like any other non-1998 panther: turn the key a certain number of times (was it 7 or 8?) then the doors will lock and unlock indicating learn mode. Then press a button on the fob, key off and learning is done.
    What this rambling tells me is at least '98-'04 door modules are interchangeable, but I expect the range is wider in both directions. So, if I hadn't left my manuals for my '98 at my parents place I would have provided some more diagrams, but the pinout in the thread you linked to might be enough to get you going.
    Vic

~ 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, backup/summer cruiser
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon SLT - wannabe winter DD - many issues, returning sometime in the 2020s
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - Rotting Retired Winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

Default New member - hacking keyless

I've been screwing around with it for a while now but I haven't been able to get it working. The board looks ok if I open the case up. I'm not getting any lights on the keypad, and when I press 7-8 and 9-0 simultaneously I don't get voltage on PK/BK pin 8 on C501b (Door lock output). My 00 and 03 Explorer did that so I'm assuming it should work here.

Last edited by jghake; 07-08-2021 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggie View Post
    It's a F150 and just 2WD. But sharp with the Lariat on black with red interior.
    Definitely still a desirable truck! Mines a work truck, and the 3 colors of brown show she's worked hard. There's actually hatchet marks on the b pillar and above the driver's door!

Correct, 7-8 and 9-0 simultaneously is the lock command that you are familiar with on other Ford products. The keypad code (should be on a label on the module or can be read with a scan tool which would then require an OBDII port) when entered will unlock the driver door. Within a certain amount of seconds after entering the code hit 3-4 to unlock all doors and 5-6 to pop the trunk (I suppose trunk pop could be repurposed for something else on the truck, one touch windows down if you have power windows would be neat.)
    After entering the code then hitting 3-4 (or 5-6) I believe the timer resets so you have the same amount of time to enter another command, 5-6 if you did 3-4 the first time. Not sure if it will perform the same command back to back, I haven't tried.
    Vic

~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, backup/summer cruiser
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon SLT - wannabe winter DD - many issues, returning sometime in the 2020s
    Gone but not forgotten:

The code is on the module, and when I supply voltage on pin 3 and 4 of C501c and G on pin 15 of C501b. I tried hooking a light to pin 8 on C501b and just mashing the 7-8 9-0 no dice. I have a new set of key fobs I'd like to pair to it so I have a switch inline on pin 3 C501c and flipped it back and forth. No output on lock. I'm out of ideas.

I'm noticing C501a on the diagram, the colors don't match what I have in hand.

My harness
    1 - light blue/white
    2 - white/black
    3 - red/light blue
    6 - light blue
    7 - white/light blue
    8 - light green
    9 - black/yellow
    10 - gray (diagram white/pink)
    11 - light blue/yellow
    12 - light green/red

C501b is different as well

2 - pink/light green
    3 - pink/orange
    4 - pink/orange
    5 - red/orange
    6 - violet/yellow
    7 - violet/yellow
    8 - orange/black (diagram pink/black)
    9 - yellow/black
    10 - pink/yellow
    12 - black/pink
    13 - white violet
    15 - black

So is C501c
    1 - tan/black
    2 - orange/black (diagram yellow)
    3 - yellow/light green
    4 - black/white

Nice truck, don't know squat about keyless but I like that rig. Clean truck too, much want.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    Nice truck, don't know squat about keyless but I like that rig. Clean truck too, much want.
    Thanks! I've been working on her for a while now, definitely a huge project.

Stickershift? Engine? Moar pics??

Project? That's a goin' to town rig where I'm from, I'd love to rock it just as is.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

My manuals aren't with me at the moment but this link has diagrams for 2001 that I would reference for this keyless entry retrofit.
    https://www.justanswer.com/ford/2rdh...se-broken.html
    I do have my original 1998 DDM that I can play around with later tonight and see if I can get some output from it. I don't have a spare keypad or the wiring pigtails, but I can still do some bench testing.
    Vic

Gone but not forgotten:

Welcome to the forum. Good luck with the project. Keeping an eye out on this thread. Curious what you come up with.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

No worries about the wire colors. If it's genuinely from an 02, the pinout is the important part. 03 would have a lot of not used connections that you currently have populated, so it's not an 03 module confused as an 02 by having an 02 production date. 01 used the same as 02. 2000 used 4 connectors. So I'm pretty sure you've got one that uses the 01/02 pinout. As long as the pinout is followed, the wire colors don't really matter.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Came out of 2MEFM75W22X624101 at the junkyard. They had it listed as an 02, and the VIN comes back to an 02. I have some more tinkering I need to do tonight.

With my known good '98 DDM I got the same result you did. I haven't looked at the diagrams in much detail to figure out why that is. I will not be home tomorrow, so it might be a couple days before I can do anything more with it.
    Vic

Gone but not forgotten:

Quote Originally Posted by VicCrownVic View Post
    With my known good '98 DDM I got the same result you did. I haven't looked at the diagrams in much detail to figure out why that is. I will not be home tomorrow, so it might be a couple days before I can do anything more with it.
    Good to know I've at least passed the idiot check lol. I'm learning how things like this mostly by trial and error. I definitely would appreciate if you could help figure it out. I actually came across this idea here https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ry-system.htmland was able to reach the guy who initially posted the idea.

Stickershift? Engine? Moar pics??

Project? That's a goin' to town rig where I'm from, I'd love to rock it just as is.
    She's an 83 351w C6 BW1345 D44HD D61 3.55 gears. I have an untouched rotating assembly from a 92 junkyard engine GT40 heads, Edelbrock Performer dual plane, and an Edelbrock 1406. Hedman long tubes (they suck) and true dual 2.25" exhaust. I've replaced the alternator with a 3G from a Windstar, the Saginaw power steering from an Enconoline, and will soon have onboard air in the form of an old Volvo AC compressor hooked up to a Viair tank. Got discs for the rear to install soon, but I need to pull the engine. It's been in for 2 years but I didn't use RTV on the reusable felpro oil pan gasket and she leaks pretty bad. Front axle is trashed, so I've got new bearings bushings, joints, etc.

Once I get the keyless figured out I'm going to install doors I robbed from an 85 Lariat and repaint the truck. Thinking dark Hunter green or dark royal blue. I've got a double set (upper and lower) of chrome to put on too!

Ok, I got mine to perform door lock function on the bench.
    The key I believe is grounding Pin 4 on C501b. This was kind of discussed in the link you had initially posted, and I found it further clarified on the '98-'00 diagrams found here: https://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/827823_1

Here are the connections I have:
    (In an HTML Code box because the forum software kills the formatting that I wanted but HTML table tags were displayed rather than interpreted.)
    HTML Code:
    What     |      Pin         |      Connector
    ---------|------------------|-------------------
    +12V     |   to Pin   4     |   on C501c(C520)
    Ground   |      Pin  15     |   on C501b(C519)
    Ground   |      Pin   4     |   on C501b(C519)
    A wire   |   on Pin   8     |   on C501b(C519) this is lock output
    A wire   |   on Pin   1     |   on C501b(C519) this is keypad button 9/0
    A wire   |   on Pin   5     |   on C501a(C518) this is keypad button 7/8
    I only have a module, no wire harness and no key pad, so you should just be able to press the buttons on the keypad (you might need power and ground to the keypad).
    In my case, I connect my 12V test light between the lock output and ground which keeps the light normally off then it goes on when the lock function is performed. (If you connect the test light between lock output and +12V the light is normally on and goes off when the lock function is performed.)
    To simulate the 9/0+7/8 keypad press, I twisted the two wires from together for these two buttons, then I touch them to +12V. You can hear the relay inside the module click and the test light will come on for a moment.

I was also able to similarly perform the driver door unlock function by connecting wires to the appropriate pins to simulate the keypad buttons, and touching each in the correct order according to the code on my module.
    Last edited by VicCrownVic; 07-14-2021 at 11:26 AM.
    Vic

Gone but not forgotten:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast