PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CFI random stall on decel/quick stop when hot

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbillycat View Post
    Hi Arquemann,
    yeah, I pulled a lotta hairs. I had read too much about the CFI EECIV issues that I totally overlooked the idle.

And yes, Iīm a bit proud to get this good mileage. 16 mpg I get around town.

And I still run all stock sensors. HEGO, MAP, TPS, EGR, all original from 1984. At least theyīre Motorcraft and look like from factory due to dirt and dust.
    Now that this issue seems to have been solved, is your ride starting to be somewhat sorted out?
    On mine the troubleshooting has lasted 2 years... and is going to end in removing the thing that causes the problem: everything
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
    2008 BMW 530d Touring, "Femma"

Yes, I think (hope) so. The only issue Iīm having so far is speed control dropping out when lights are on. This is due to PO messing with the turn/brake/tail lights to meet german laws where you need an amber turn signal, separate from the brake light. Since he drew no schematic I have to trace his wires and find out what he did in the first place. I made my own schematic from the electric & vacuum troubleshooting manual that should work.

Car drove well already when I bought it in May 2021. I did mostly cosmetics and sound deadening. Just a lot of TLC to get the shine back these had when new and not been neglected.

Off topic, but could you write a bit on the sound deadening you did and how it's turned out?

I used six rolls of aluminum-butyl mats and did the entire trunk without deck lid. Package tray, behind rear seat, rear wheel arches, doors (outer and inner - totally sealing up all openings here), front and rear footwells, tranny hump front and back (while the carpet was in the car and just folded back to fight my water intrusion), and the roof plus center and c-pillars.

The only noise thatīs left is from the windows. Only thicker glass could help in this case and front tires. The weatherstripping is fine and tight (did back them up with universal D-shape adhesive weatherstrip - that pushes them out and they seal tight again.

Town Cars are already pretty silent, but Iīd say it did quiet it down even more. Doing the roof was very good for the aluminum is shielding summer heat off from burning onto your head. And same is for the front footwells - no more heat transfer from down there even after hours on the highway. I felt for the floor on my last trip and it was rather cool. Tranny hump had just jute under the carpet - using the aluminumbutyl did quiet down the tranny whine quite some.

I've been doing quite a bit of research recently on acoustic treatments, and I think I'm just about ready to order some materials. The Box Town Cars are pretty quiet already, as you say, but they're still noisier than most modern vehicles. I've found I can't really listen to Classical while cruising down the highway, as there's just too much ambient sound. Any Pop or Rock - no problem - but there's a much smaller dynamic range for most of that music.

And yeah, the glass is what it is, which is another point for newer cars with their acoustic windshields. This fact deterred me from doing any sound treatment last time I looked into it - even if you seal up the rest of the car, sound will still transmit through the material with the lowest STC rating. And given the aerodynamics of a Box, there's a lot of wind noise produced around the glass.

Some advice I recently received is to try to absorb the sound that does make its way inside. There are a few companies that sell special acoustic foams, including melamine (Magic Eraser stuff). But I'm not interested in spending a fortune if I can help it. One guy claimed he had good success using acoustic ceiling tiles, fiberglass in his case, wrapped in plastic and secured within his door cavities.

My current plan is to use the butyl deadener stuff on the doors and roof, followed by rigid mineral wool boards in the door cavities and above the headliner. The mineral wool has a NRC above 0.80, depending on the thickness, so I'm interested in whether it will have any effect on the wind noise. It also should have some thermal insulating properties, for what that's worth. I assume you had near full coverage with the butyl mats to achieve heat shielding with it. I don't think I'll buy enough of that stuff to do the same, but I might look into some sort of separate radiant barrier.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

fix any air leaks you have first. Window channel guides especially make a huge difference but door seals too. The other big noise spot is missing/damaged inner door liners. They tend to fall apart or just be thrown out after the panels get removed to fix stuff. I lined the inside of the door skin and made door liners out of a Dynamat-like material that made a big difference. At some point I want to pull the rear seat out and cover the opening into the trunk. Most of the butyl-type materials don't so much absorb sound as they add mass to make metal less resonant, but they also do a really nice job of sealing openings.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Window run channels are still good except for the driverīs side upper 90 degree corner. That one was gone and I had to find a replacement. It fitīs but not like the OEM stuff. Did not buy in the States but over here in Germany. Itīs close but not 100% dead on, so I think this is where the most wind noise (except for the windshield) is still coming from.
    And yes, I replaced door liners with thick plasitc foil and butyl mat to seal any openings.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123