My 88 Vic (before MAACO)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 88 Vic (before MAACO)

This was back before MAACO. I'll have to find some newer pics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	88 Crown Vic.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	1289312 Here was after MAACO.

Comment

Sharp looking. Any history on your car like where it was in service?
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

The CV looks sharp. Black and red, my favorite colors. Was it a patrol car or a Fire Chiefs car ? With fire cars it was common to have red interior.
        Maaco used to do nice jobs on the mid range and above jobs. Single stage or base/clear ? If the shop foreman would let me in the shop, I would point out my car and give the painter and tape man a tip . A few $$ went a long way.
        Show more pictures of your car when you have time. Since you are in CA, search junkyards for extra parts now. What part of Ca. you are in ? I forgot.
        Last edited by Mainemantom; 07-13-2021, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Wow, that MAACO job looks really nice!

Did you strip all the trim and such off before bringing it to them or did you have them do that? I've always been tempted to try them as their prices are reasonable enough.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
            Sharp looking. Any history on your car like where it was in service?
            Patterson NJ PD. I first knew because it has a Paterson bumper sticker. Celebrating Paterson 100th anniversary or something. Many years later, I noticed it says so on the original key. If you squinted into the sun just the right way (before the MAACO with the sandblasted) paint job, you could see "Police" on the doors plus "Serve and Protect" and "Command Car" on some of the quarters. Carfax confirmed it was originally sold in Paterson NJ. I also found many years later, a very discolored brittle part of a piece of paper from Paterson PD regarding a home invasion report or something. It was stuck down in the cowl below the windshield wipers. Miracle it survived as long as it did with rain and snow getting in there. Although the car color was always listed as black, when I watch X-files or see photos of the current color scheme for Paterson PD, looks like their cars are usually white. So confused by that.

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
            The CV looks sharp. Black and red, my favorite colors. Was it a patrol car or a Fire Chiefs car ? With fire cars it was common to have red interior.
            Maaco used to do nice jobs on the mid range and above jobs. Single stage or base/clear ? If the shop foreman would let me in the shop, I would point out my car and give the painter and tape man a tip . A few $$ went a long way.
            Show more pictures of your car when you have time. Since you are in CA, search junkyards for extra parts now. What part of Ca. you are in ? I forgot.
            Yeah, I got the maroon burgendy color. Odd choice I guess. I had a guy at the Ripon police car show try to tell me that I put a custom interior in there. I have not. He was kind of a jerk. Jealous or something. He had a 87 or older or something. I freguent the Pick N pulls a lot but as my skill and knowledge seem to grow greater, unfortunately, the boxes become more and more infrequent at the yards.

Originally posted by slack View Post
            Wow, that MAACO job looks really nice!

Did you strip all the trim and such off before bringing it to them or did you have them do that? I've always been tempted to try them as their prices are reasonable enough.
            Unfortunately, no I did not strip the trim. So there was some overspray in some places. But most major areas where there was overspray, the chrome was crap anyways. And some I replaced later with NOS so it didn't matter. They did spray over the calibration sticker, etc. which sucked.

MAACO job has some issues from age now here and there but overall really good. However, there was a hit and run a few years back when I used to park the car out on the street. A smudge going down one side from front to back. So I have that still to take care of.

I'll have to post some pics when I get a chance.
            Last edited by 88LTDCV351; 07-14-2021, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Beautiful! Rare to see a CV in Jersey. I've only seen 2 other Crown Vics; otherwise it's been a handful of box Grand Marquis and several box Town Cars. Who had that Grand Marquis in the background?

Comment

Nice ride! Did you purchase it in NJ or it found its way to you in Cali?
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Chances are your car didn't see beat patrol use. Very likely it was ordered black with red interior for one of the Department high ups. Explains "command car" Try to find the build sheet, possibly under the front seats. Could be somewhere else too. Preserve it as it will have all the details how it was ordered. That Ripon show usually is very good. In the past, participants were offered a tour of the CHP museum. They have a collection of the past patrol cars. One suggestion is to keep the spot light inop. (like cut the wire on the outside so it is obvious.) If/when you get pulled over because " Someone reported you were shining the spot light in their eyes" It can be proven instantly it did not happen. Be aware that in CA. LEs look carefully at the spotlight. If they don't see a clear bulb, there will be extreme trouble ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
                    Who had that Grand Marquis in the background?
                    That's my brother's car. He moved back to the Midwest. Someone rear ended him a few years ago at a traffic light so he doesn't drive it as much anymore. He is trying to get it fixed. Although the damage could be repaired and back on the road, the insurance company wanted to total it and salvage title the car due to age. My brother refused, didn't take any money, cancelled the claim and kept the clear title but is fixing up the car on his own dime.

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                    Nice ride! Did you purchase it in NJ or it found its way to you in Cali?
                    No. The car was owned by a college kid in Kentucky when he was selling it on ebay back in 2004 I think. Had to pick it up and drive it. The cats rusted off so maybe they didn't want to mess with that. Only thing I had to replace was the cats, mufflers, and pipes. College kids are usually broke, or at least I was back in those days. I also think that since they didn't know how to properly start a cold carbed car, they thought something was wrong with it. Started just fine for me but then I grew up when carbed cars were still around and my first car still had a carb.

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                    Chances are your car didn't see beat patrol use. Very likely it was ordered black with red interior for one of the Department high ups. Explains "command car" Try to find the build sheet, possibly under the front seats. Could be somewhere else too. Preserve it as it will have all the details how it was ordered. That Ripon show usually is very good. In the past, participants were offered a tour of the CHP museum. They have a collection of the past patrol cars. One suggestion is to keep the spot light inop. (like cut the wire on the outside so it is obvious.) If/when you get pulled over because " Someone reported you were shining the spot light in their eyes" It can be proven instantly it did not happen. Be aware that in CA. LEs look carefully at the spotlight. If they don't see a clear bulb, there will be extreme trouble ahead.
                    Yeah, probably didn't get as much abuse. Mileage on the car was not so bad. And it has carpet instead of rubber. But the carpet needs replaced. I bought a ACC carpet to put in it. I haven't looked for the build sheet. But I'm sure I'll find it when I replace the carpet. I no longer drive the car much because I have the Marauder but I think due to the car's age and my mature age (gray hear at least makes me look mature, lol), they have so far never messed with me in regards to the spot light even when I have been pulled over for simple things like headlight burnt out, etc. I think a lot of them are too young to remember what an old cop car looks like. I had one guy ask me if the light was for hunting, lol. But I'll certainly look into that.

Comment

Nice. Everything up until we got my Mom's '86 CV was carb'd. My '82 C20 still sports a 2bbl and fires up right away no matter how long it sits (also has well over 500k).

Comment

More pics

Some more pics. I'll provide some more pics later, like the interior. Also, I have a dashcap/overlay on but I'll take it off for more pics of the actual dash. It's a good dash now from pick n pull since the original dash was cracked to high heaven.
                        Attached Files

Comment

no leather wrap steering wheel

Almost forgot. Had one more quick pic. Tripminder was a delete on this car. Also, steering wheel no cruise control and no leather wrap. And of course, no power antennea. Replaced dirty old steering wheel with a NOS one from ebay. Keeping it original non-leather wrap. Some more "cabernet red" interior pics to come.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by 88LTDCV351; 07-15-2021, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Very nice looking. Clock delete plate too!
                            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Package Tray and no armrest?

My car doesn't have a center armrest in the back seat. And the rear deck was all torn up from the previous owner putting in rear speakers when apparently my car was not equiped. I still use the speakers but found a package tray at Pick n Pull to give it a stock look. Also my headliner appears to sag a bit in the back of the car.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by 88LTDCV351; 07-15-2021, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X