Who'll these wheels fit???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who'll these wheels fit???

So, the time has come for tires for my 89 Merc and ide like to get some new rims along with some new rubber for the old fella. I was looking to get some 18x8.5 fronts with +20mm offset, 5.54 backspacing, and a 225/50r18 tire for the front. Then 18x9.5 rears with +20mm offset, 6.04 backspacing, and some 255/45r18 tires. Before I make the purchase I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the rim/tire combo will fit right off rip before I just take a gamble and I'm stuck with the wheel/tire combo that won't work. Wheels are XXR 570 and tires are continental extreme contact. Thank you all in advance!

If the rears don't rub the exhaust, I'll be shocked. Stock wheels are zero offset. The rear axle on 79-90.5 is narrower than the front track and will require spacers or a rear axle swap to 91 (drums) or 92-97 rear (disc). If you put a straight edge on the rotor/drum face and measure to the nearest thing to bump, (add an inch to the backspacing for tire bulge/flex) and you can tell if it'll hit. I'm wagering you'll just need 20mm spacers up front and 40mm spacers in the rear if you still have the original rear axle, otherwise 20mm all around.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

You're going to need spacers front and back.
      Check this thread and the pics to get an idea of what sits and how:
      http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...heels-on-wagon

I don't think your tires will stick too much beyond the wheel lip, with those widths you have a quite a bit of stretch.

From the thread:
      15x10 "5,5 BS on the rear, clears by a little bit, (nothing mentioned of the exhaust, but it's on a wagon)

15x8 "4,5 BS in the front. The lip on an "18 will get very close to the control arm and spindle.
      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
      1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

I do have a 96 town car rearends with disc brakes so that's nice I won't have to use to large of a spacer for the rear. I will definitely be checking with the straight edge, that's a good idea! Thank you very much! Hopefully in the next month when I'm (FINALLY!) off work I'll post some pictures. Blacked out windows/paint/wheels is played out but I think (more or less hope) it will look sweet!

Comment

That's not to bad at all! I was hoping for direct fit but if some spacers and a hammer is all I need to make them fit I'll definitely do it. Tha ks for the link!! 😃 That car sits pretty damn nasty!! I'm going for more of a road race vs drag look but if the tears will look that wide on there, OOOOOOF!!🤤🤤 Hope to tune back in the next few weeks with some pictures and what I had to do to make them fit (if anything special).

Comment

Working...
          X