Dead Battery and Rapid Clicking Under Dash with Key Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead Battery and Rapid Clicking Under Dash with Key Out

So my battery died overnight. Drove home from work yesterday just fine; go out to start her up this morning and click. Take the key out of the ignition and there was rapid clicking coming from under the dash for a minute or so after the key was taken out. I read PICKUP6772's thread about what seems to be the same noise coming from the same area; just that mine did it while the car was powered-off. Not sure what to make of it.

I've had batteries go just that quick. Once had one in my '95 T-bird go out after being parked over a couple days, just suddenly heard noise in trunk area on left, module under deck. Car would not even click with door fob, battery dead. Do not know how that module was making noise. New battery fixed it.
    No ... I'm not arguing with you ... I'm just explaining why I'm right ...

Now go ... and whatever you do ... have a safe trip!

Comment

....in what ?
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

My '05 Grand Marquis

Comment

If the battery is bad like that it will float voltage back up to a level to trigger some keyless entry stuff but as soon as that triggers the battery drops out again and the process repeats ad nauseam.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
            If the battery is bad like that it will float voltage back up to a level to trigger some keyless entry stuff but as soon as that triggers the battery drops out again and the process repeats ad nauseam.
            I think that is what was going on on my '95 T-bird LX as I recall a mechanic buddy explaing it, seems to me now that you mention it ... that is the module up under the left side of rear shelf, in trunk. My '92 had the keyless entry number pad, but no remote capability but the '95 does have remote too.
            No ... I'm not arguing with you ... I'm just explaining why I'm right ...

Now go ... and whatever you do ... have a safe trip!

Comment

In the 05, it should be the LCM relays making noise trying to trigger the parking lights because the keyless entry system is triggering them. Not sure about the 95 or 92 though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I once had a battery that was marginal. If the engine was only shut off for an hour or two, the car would crank back up, no problem. Longer than that, and it would lose enough voltage that one of the relays wouldn't stay latched open, and that turned on the HVAC, even if the key was off, at whatever blower speed was set before the car was switched off. This happened during the summer, so the blower motor was perpetually set on MAX and ran the battery the rest of the way down pretty quickly after that.

A new battery ended up curing the problem for me, but you might want to also swap the relays into different sockets to see if the clicking moves to whereer you moved the relays.

Comment

Packman,
                  My TC was doing it with the key out. It turned out to be a bad passenger blend door motor on mine. When I removed it, It was an aftermarket DORMAN motor. I replaced it with a MOTORCRAFT part, and all is well. Also, I would load test the battery. ANYTHING over 5 years old, no matter how good it test, or looks, should be replaced.

MIKE

Comment

Battery was replaced. I looked in my old notes (before I got a dedicated car maintenance notebook) and found that the old battery was installed 4.5 years ago. I will look into the blend door though; maybe the old dying battery affected it somehow.

Comment

Working...
                    X