Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No Power with Battery Hooked Up............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Power with Battery Hooked Up............

I attempted the 1st start for the Crown Vic this weekend. Among some of the little issues; I have a no power issue. Hooked up the battery and I get power to the starter solenoid B+; but the other side where the power window circuit breaker and where all of the wires that run to the main harness has no power. There are no lights in the car and no power in the ignition. If I turn the key to the "on" position, I hear nothing; no fuel pump; no relays clicking; absolutely nothing; can't even bump the starter with the key. I can only bump the starter by jumping the wire directly from the battery+ to the small plug-in terminal (little 90* red plug) on the starter relay. I do have power to the EGR solenoid plugs and another black plug that I can't identify because my label fell off. It seems as if there is no power going to the fuse panel; but I will have to identify its power source and start testing the wires. I didn't get that far. I will post pics of the various pieces in question. Hopefully this is a nOOb mistake and is easy to fix.

Could be the ignition switch separating. All power goes through it for key on power.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Hmmmmm..........I will identify that wire and put the test light on it; next time I'm out there. Perhaps I jostled something when installing the engine and/or installing the other accessories. Thanks SLY

Comment

sure you put the cables on right? The window motor breaker and all that should be on the same side as the + wire from the battery. If you have it on the starter side, nothing is going to work.

stock the only thing that should be on the side opposite the battery is the cable going to the starter. If you have a newer small starter, the wire going to the new solenoid S terminal goes there, the fat cable to the starter and everything else goes on the battery side.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I think I had it backwards all along. Unfortunately, I can't zoom in on the pics from 12 years ago; when I replaced the solenoid; but I had the B+ and the fat starter cable on the battery side; and the fusible links, the wiring, the power window circuit breaker, and the signal wire on the other side. At least, that's the way I left it when I pulled the lopo. So it seems as if everything was backwards. All of the stuff except the solenoid S terminal goes on the battery side? I will have to look through the diagrams to confirm. Perhaps I somehow messed it all up. Wish I had a digital camera 12 years ago; zooming into what was there would be very helpful; as the CV ran like that for many years.

Comment

Yeah, I think I must have accidentally switched them up. Looking at an old picture; I had everything on the wrong side.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1466.JPEG
Views:	2
Size:	2.99 MB
ID:	1289380

Comment

So, I am still having issues with the ignition. I now have power in the car; the interior lights work; with the key on my radio lights up; but I don't see any dash lights. None of the warning lights come on , I don't hear the fuel pump priming, and I hear no relays clicking. If I try to start it, I get nothing. I will check my EVTM, but if somebody can post a pic of their starter relay, that would be a great help. At this point, I'm thinking I still don't have the starter solenoid wired correctly; or my ignition switch is toast.

Name:	IMG_1531.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	1289449 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1532.jpg
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	1289450

Comment

Sounds like a bad ECA relay. It provides power to the ECM and all the relays under the hood.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

doesn't feed the idiot lights on the dash though. I'm voting for one missed wire by the starter solenoid. Pics arent' really going to help, its just a crapload of wires on one side and a single wire down to the starter on the other side. You just have to make sure you have every wire that goes on the hot side installed.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks SLY and Gadget73. I'm going to start by replacing my starter solenoid with the spare unit. In the process, I will look for any terminals that I may have left off. Then I will look for the ECA relay. One thing I didn't mention; my ECM has power. I was able to load my new tune into the Quarterhorse. Unless that acts separately from the rest of the ECM.

Comment

Okay, just replaced the starter solenoid. I took the wire looming off of the bundle of wires going to it and saw no terminals tucked in there; or at least anything that shouldn't be tucked away. I have 4 ring-terminals going to the battery stud/side of the solenoid; this excludes the power cable going to the starter and the battery+ cable. On the starter side, I have just the signal wire going to the starter. So here's the question(s). The red with blue stripe wire with the boot on it; that goes to the "S" terminal? And the yellow wire with green a stripe and black boot goes on the "I" terminal?

Name:	IMG_1537.jpg
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	1289454 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1538.jpg
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1289455 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1534.jpg
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	1289456 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1535.jpg
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	1289457
                      Last edited by packman; 08-08-2021, 05:01 PM. Reason: not tan wire; yellow with green stripe

Comment

Red with blue stripe is very common for Ford starter trigger wire.
                        Yellow/green i am not sure about.
                        Last edited by massacre; 08-08-2021, 06:29 PM.

Comment

a bad starter solenoid won't cause this. At most it will make it not crank, or not stop cranking. The only thing the solenoid has to do with power distribution is just it happens to be the place where all the wires physically come together. You could use a bolt from the hardware store and make everything in the car except for the starter function.

Should not be a second wire on an 86. The original solenoid from mine didn't even have the I terminal on it. red/blue is the S trigger wire though.

Does anyone have a Vic EVTM? Its all in there. I have one for the Towncar but this is edging into the territory where there might be some incredibly small difference from the Lincoln to the Ford that I don't want to rely on it and give you bad info.

Comment

I found my EVTM last night. Looked it over and identified Fusible Links A, B, and C. That's all it says that my starter solenoid has other than power from the battery and power to the starter. I changed the solenoid out because I have a spare available and figured why not? Do those fusible links go bad or get tripped when traumatic events like engine swaps occur? I am going to start putting the test light to those and see if I have power coming out of those fusible links. Also, I might look into changing out the in-line circuit breaker. I will test it first with the test light; but I will at least find one to have as a spare. I just don't know how many amps that circuit breaker is? My EVTM just identifies it as such, with no specs or references (to pages that describe it). At this point, I have no other ideas.

Name:	IMG_1128.jpg
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	1289458 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1129.jpg
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	1289459

Comment

They can go bad if something shorts. it is a fuse, but its not sensitive to engine swaps. I blew one from a thermal blower lockout wire shorting out. Took out all of the key-on circuits, including ignition. Engine shut down on me in a circle outside of Chicago. Had to get it out of the circle onto a side road and cobbled it back up with speaker wire.

don't poke directly into the fuse link, check the wire beyond it. Most of the time when the links go from over-current the insulation is melted.

breaker I think is 30 ? thats power windows if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

Working...
                              X