Box windshield replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Box windshield replacement

Anyone try replacing box windshield themselves? It appears that mine is attached with butyl and not urethane like all modern cars. If I let the car sit out in the sun and then take a heat gun around the windshield, would I be able to push it out or doea it still need to be cut out?

Has to be cut out. I have done a few many years ago. It is SO much easier to have a glass shop do the job. It is a two man job. Getting it out can be a pain. There is what is known as a release agent which is sprayed around the seal to help loosen it up. Mixed results.
    Putting in the new usually goes ok. Many shops do not take all of the old seal out. All it takes is to hit the glass the wrong way, then crack. Better to have a company break it than yourself. Shop around for pricing. Labor prices differ. If you can get the Carlite glass,get it.

Comment

Mine kinda fell out ages ago. The top and side adhesives gave way. It was still secured really well down near the cowl. Tough to reach that area with out special tools...goes deep and was thick.

I had the glass company come and just remove it and re-adhere it. I removed all trim around window (interior and exterior) and dash pad so they count not mess anything up on me. Luckily everything went back okay on the inside and outside.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Windshield in my '89 CV was pretty easy to cut out with the right tool. Cleaned up the gasket area, applied the etching chemical to both sides, laid a bead of sealer, and installed the glass. I needed an extra set of hands to install the glass.

Comment

I cut one out once using piano wire. It was not a thrilling experience but it worked.
          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Are you replacing your windshield or just re-sealing it? If replacing, who cares if you crack the old one. I have cut several windshields out over the years with no problem. 2-man job with piano wire. 2-man job to install too. Most replacement glass is shaded at the top. Also the bottom shading is different 89 down compared to 90-91. Most replacement windshields have the 90-91 shading at the bottom. WagonMan
            89 Colony Park
            90 Colony Park
            70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

I successfully removed a junkyard '90 windshield to install in my wagon, and it was my first time doing windshield work. It is doable. I used a combination of the little sideways knife tool and piano wire, with soapy (dish soap) water to lubricate the area being worked on. The piano wire option is mandatory around the bottom because there is no tool that can reach to the required spot and apply the required type, direction and amount of force.

My only useful input about installing windshields (if using urethane) is to use more urethane than seems to be appropriate, to stack up a very tall bead. It's easier to squish the glass down more than the impossible task of lifting it back out if you set it in too deep.

Current driver: Ranger
              Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
              | 88 TC | 91 GM
              Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
              Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
              | Junkyards

Comment

I too removed and resealed my windshield. it separated really easily with the butyl. removing one with modern eurathane is harder..

I recently had to have the glass i re-sealed replaced. It cost me $300 parts and labor. They said new windshields for them have become very rare, they had 1 in 1 of their warehouses...i got lucky.
                -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Seems to be that way for any vehicle over 10 years old that's not a pickup or sports car. Even the glass for my 03 Expedition only had "one in the area". It seems they only keep a few in stock for any given vehicle. Many are special order now. Found this out from the guy who installed my windshield.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Tried pulling one out of a car at the wreckers a few days ago. Turns out it's been replaced and urethaned into place. Not sure what urethane they used back in the day but it was solid as a rock. Couldn't cut it out. I did manage to successfully remove one out of a box Town Car that still had butyl. Came out very easily. On another note if anyone is curious Town Car windshield will not fit a Vic/Marq. The roof is wider at the top on the Lincoln.

Comment

I bought a heated Insta-clear windshield at a junkyard years ago. The yard said I couldn't remove it myself, they would have it taken out by a glass shop. Price was $150. When I went to pick it up, the idiots cut the wires off flush to the windshield. I told them the windshield is ruined. They said I owed them $50 for the removal. I said O.K., but I'm taking the windshield for the $50. They said O.K. I took the windshield home and I soldered the wires from my broken Insta-clear windshield to the new one. It is still in my car today and works fine. WagonMan
                      89 Colony Park
                      90 Colony Park
                      70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Once removed and replaced a windshield for a '64 Pontiac Bonneville just using a carpet knife. Certainly can't do that shit anymore!
                        What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                        What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Originally posted by WagonMan View Post
                          I bought a heated Insta-clear windshield at a junkyard years ago. The yard said I couldn't remove it myself, they would have it taken out by a glass shop. Price was $150. When I went to pick it up, the idiots cut the wires off flush to the windshield. I told them the windshield is ruined. They said I owed them $50 for the removal. I said O.K., but I'm taking the windshield for the $50. They said O.K. I took the windshield home and I soldered the wires from my broken Insta-clear windshield to the new one. It is still in my car today and works fine. WagonMan
                          Good deal. Wonder if they didnt even know about the leads at first then mangled them through removal and cut them flush to try and hide it from you. Too bad you the buyer knew what you were purchasing.
                          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Yea before glue you just carefully pushed them out with your feet.
                            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Working...
                            X