Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wagon Rear Window Motor

Hi - hope you are all well ...

I have an 85 Country Squire and the rear window gears need replacing. I have done it for three of the front windows and once you do one is an easy process - following the dimples and i used a plastic plug to cover the holes, although they are behind the trim -

So, i have been reading and some people here say drill holes and one said that they did it without drilling holes.

I have been trying all day and drilled one hole - slightly off, so cant really align with bolt - so my question is there really a way to do this without drilling (or will i have to have the rear gate refinished after i am done - i have multiple tools (screwdriver, small ratchet, open and close spanner and i just cant get to the top bolts let alone the bottom one....any ideas / photos / would be great -

Thanks

LV

Replacing the window motors is a huge pain without drilling. The worst part being getting the motor mounting bolts back in during reinstall. I don't recommend trying it but if you feel like you have a ton of patience, and I mean a few hours to reinstall the motor, have at it. The Ford service manual actually instructs to drill holes.
    I'm pretty sure dad and I drilled holes in the tailgate of my (long gone) '88 Country Squire when we worked on the window motor.
    Last edited by VicCrownVic; 07-28-2021, 05:10 PM.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

The only reasonable way to do it without drilling the holes in the doors is to drill the rivets that hold the window regulator to be able to get enough room to get at the window motor bolts. This also involves removing the window from the regulator (more rivets to drill). It's much easier to just drill the dimples out to get direct access with deep socket (I think 8mm or 5/16). I say deep socket because a normal size socket can fall into the door because it's just small enough to get inside the newly drilled hole completely.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Edit after the fact: I read this as being about the tailgate window, not the rear side doors, and my reply below is written accordingly.

I recently did this on my 85 CS.
        As you have found, there are no dimples.
        There is metal structure inside the tailgate in this area that really complicates access from within.
        I fought for a while to find a way to swing a small wrench inside the tailgate but concluded it was not possible without at least cutting more access, so I opted to drill.
        I also drilled misaligned and ended up with extra holes that poorly align as a result.

As the interior panel/card for the tailgate does not come down low enough to cover this area, you will have visible holes that you may wish to somehow plug.

I have no suggestions for how to do this better or easier, just adding my experience.
        Last edited by kishy; 07-29-2021, 12:14 AM.

Current driver: Ranger
        Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
        | 88 TC | 91 GM
        Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
        Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
        | Junkyards

Comment

I cut an access window to get at my motor and used a slightly larger piece of sheet metal to cover the hole. Remove four screws and boom, access. Sounds trashy, but given the alternative, it’s not that bad.

My Cars:
          -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
          -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
          -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
          -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

[/I][/I]Thank you all for the responses -- so after the one very unsightly hole, i will send it to my mechanic, hopefully they have either more tools or smaller hands !

My car is a relatively low mile (60K) that was lovingly cared for, so it all original, zero rust, everything works kind of car that i love and enjoy very often...

Comment

I tried replacing the tailgate window motor without drilling.
              Spent at least two hours on dismantling.
              Managed to position one screw, only a bit, while installing it back, after an hours.
              Finally drilled holes. Unfortunately, the tailgate's design is awful in this matter!

Comment

Working...
              X