Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock ECU and injectors with new heads/intake

Hey, long time no see.

I've been waiting several months for Lunati to ship my new cam for my HO swap. My 87 Grand Marquis is supposed to be my daily. I just called them and they said my order had been cancelled and it'd be at least another 3-4 months before they'd ship my cam and such if I re-ordered it now.

So, I do have a Megasquirt for the car, if I fool with Tunerstudio and figure out how to change the firing order to the Lopo firing order for the injectors in that, then I'll be able to do this for sure.

But what it boils down to, is that I have my car taken apart right now, I need to be able to drive it, as a daily, and move it out of the way for other projects to take place as well.

Can I run my AFR Renegade 165CC heads with the stock cam and stock injectors and my GT40 upper and lower intake. On the stock ECU? Or will the speed density make me run lean and break stuff? I'll be using Foxbody shorty headers as well. If it's safe to do that, I'll do that until I can get the Megasquirt firing order sorted out, then put in my bigger injectors and such. It'd just be nice to drive the car again, and I'd rather have part of the mods done than have none of the mods done.

Thank you all for the input, I just don't want to trash my 90k mile engine. I can have it back together this weekend or next either way.

Run, yes, run well, questionable. Those heads and intake are going to move a lot more air than the stock ones did, and its extremely likely it will run lean. I had an Explorer cam in mine with ported E7 heads and a Mark VII ECM and 19# injectors and it ran badly lean. The smaller lift cam will limit that difference somewhat but it still may be a problem

If you can get the MS to run with bigger injectors, stick that in with the stock cam and the better heads and intake and it should be able to run fine.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      Run, yes, run well, questionable. Those heads and intake are going to move a lot more air than the stock ones did, and its extremely likely it will run lean. I had an Explorer cam in mine with ported E7 heads and a Mark VII ECM and 19# injectors and it ran badly lean. The smaller lift cam will limit that difference somewhat but it still may be a problem

If you can get the MS to run with bigger injectors, stick that in with the stock cam and the better heads and intake and it should be able to run fine.
      I can certainly get it to run with bigger injectors. I have a stock Foxbody basemap to go off of, and I've already got my Miata running on a Megasquirt PNP and done the wideband install and stuff in it. Changing the injector size and specs is as simple as filling out a form, I just have to make sure I can change the firing order to be Lopo instead of H.O.

Interested to see what the stock Lopo cam would do and how it'd pull with all the H.O. swap stuff except a cam. But like, it's just because Lunati is out of stock and cancelled my order, and Comp Cams wouldn't pick up the phone after me being on hold for 10-15 minutes.

Otherwise I'd be doing it all at once and not worry about it.
      I may just put it back together stock with some cooling system upgrades this weekend/next week.

Comment

isn't MS batch fire? if so the firing order really doesn't matter. If its sequential and it lacks the ability to program firing order, thats a pretty significant shortcoming.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Pretty sure you can do both, I may have to call them and see because I start putting the car back together.

Gaget, the cam like you have is also not currently available. Nowhere local can find me anything, I'd really like to not take it apart again until I want to do a forged rotating assembly off in the distant future.

Curse me getting into EFI cars now. And not knowing my way around EFI cars yet.

Comment

they really aren't different than carb cars, it just gets approached in a different matter. H/C/I swap with a carb wants at least fatter jets but possibly a bigger carb and you likely want to re-curve the distributor to make it work. Same thing with EFI but instead of jets and weights you use computers and curse words.

Everything seems to be sold out / out of production / on backorder. This specific one actually came to me used from Pantera77, then it sat on the shelf for a couple of years until I decided I wanted more than the Exploder cam was giving me and I also wanted to find out why the engine clattered so much. Found all of it, and of course it cost me more money than I was planning to spend, but it doesn't clatter anymore. Understand not wanting to take it apart again though, just the cam isn't so awful but its still kind of a pain in the ass. I've done heads in the car too, that sucks a lot more.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              they really aren't different than carb cars, it just gets approached in a different matter. H/C/I swap with a carb wants at least fatter jets but possibly a bigger carb and you likely want to re-curve the distributor to make it work. Same thing with EFI but instead of jets and weights you use computers and curse words.

Everything seems to be sold out / out of production / on backorder. This specific one actually came to me used from Pantera77, then it sat on the shelf for a couple of years until I decided I wanted more than the Exploder cam was giving me and I also wanted to find out why the engine clattered so much. Found all of it, and of course it cost me more money than I was planning to spend, but it doesn't clatter anymore. Understand not wanting to take it apart again though, just the cam isn't so awful but its still kind of a pain in the ass. I've done heads in the car too, that sucks a lot more.

I'm not looking forward to heads in the car. I expect that to suck, a lot.

Update though, Late Model Restorations had some cams in stock. I'm going with a Trickflow stage 1 cam: https://lmr.com/item/TFS-51402000/86...oller-Camshaft

A little more cam than what I really want, so it may end up warranting a higher stall torque converter and firmer shifts, so we'll tackle that after the car is back on the road. But, it should be here between now and Monday. Thankfully.

If my dad is willing, I'll have him help me out with the heads and cam stuff while he's in town of the evenings this week. Goal is to have the car back on the road while I still need A/C to be comfortable... Get new downpipes made with O2 sensor bungs and a solid derivable street tune. Then find money for transmission oriented things and a dyno tune after I have that mostly sorted.

EDIT: By "may" warrant a higher stall torque converter I mean it will, at some point, get one.

Comment

the part that mainly sucks about doing heads in the car is just they are heavy, and it involves a lot of time spent bent over the fenders unbolting and re-bolting things. I did valve seals on mine after the cam swap shredded them, and that also sucked. Nothing about it was hard, but it was awkward and became physically painful.

Comment

Working...
                X