1990 Country Squire Fuel Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1990 Country Squire Fuel Pump

Hi all. I’m new to the group and new to the panther platform. I just purchased a 1990 country squire wagon last week at auction for 1100. The car had been sitting for 8 years. I know the fuel pump needs replacing and I was wondering if I could replace it by cutting a hole above the tank in order to get to it? Thanks.

Welcome!

Drop the tank. You'll likely need to refresh that one or get a new one anyway.

Dropping the tank is no fun but not that bad. Can be done easily in an afternoon.

I revived my 1990 wagon from an eight year slumber in 2016. The inside of the tank looked like the wreck of the Titanic.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I love this car, the kids love it too. I suppose you’re right and I should just drop the tank. Wish me luck! Thanks again.

Comment

Hi, Welcome! I am WagonMan. I have parted several box body cars and I have a ton of parts.
        LMK if you need anything. Where are you? I don't sell out of the continental U.S.
        89 Colony Park
        90 Colony Park
        70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Thanks for the help! Im in New York, as I work on this Im sure I’ll need some parts. I’ll definitely reach out to you, thanks again!

Comment

I just ordered a brand new tank from eBay, what the heck.

Comment

Be sure the tank is specifically for a wagon as the sedan tanks are different.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

So I replaced the fuel tank and fuel pump. The car runs great. However the unit that measures fuel level isn’t working(gas gauge reads past Full). I can’t find this unit anywhere to purchase. Anyone have a lead on where I can find it?

Comment

I did this on a fuel gauge once. The cluster connector was loose and wasn't reading the sender at all. Plugged it back in all the way and it fixed the issue. So you might have a loose connection somewhere along the line.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                    I did this on a fuel gauge once. The cluster connector was loose and wasn't reading the sender at all. Plugged it back in all the way and it fixed the issue. So you might have a loose connection somewhere along the line.
                    Where are there connections along the line where I should look besides the cluster itself? Thanks again.

Comment

Is the fuel gauge reading above full all the time? Does it go to "E" when you turn the car off?
                      WagonMan
                      89 Colony Park
                      90 Colony Park
                      70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

It stays on F no matter if the key is on or not. Maybe the gauge itself? When I first put the key on it drops a bit to 3/4 then immediately goes back to F. I pulled the connector at the tank and the gauge behaves the same way whether it’s plugged in or not.
                        Last edited by WagonQueen; 08-22-2021, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WagonQueen View Post
                          It stays on F no matter if the key is on or not. Maybe the gauge itself? When I first put the key on it drops a bit to 3/4 then immediately goes back to F. I pulled the connector at the tank and the gauge behaves the same way whether it’s plugged in or not.
                          Also, the gauge didn’t behave this way before I changed the tank. It definitely wasn’t pinned past F.

Comment

I'd say the wire picked up a ground somewhere. Maybe it got squeezed somewhere?
                            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

The fuel gauge sending unit was really rusty and I soaked it in some CLR and replaced the float. I also sprayed wd-40 all over it to loosen the float arm. Maybe I damaged the unit by doing that?

Comment

Working...
                              X