PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

Thread: 1990 Country Squire Fuel Pump

Default 1990 Country Squire Fuel Pump

Hi all. Iím new to the group and new to the panther platform. I just purchased a 1990 country squire wagon last week at auction for 1100. The car had been sitting for 8 years. I know the fuel pump needs replacing and I was wondering if I could replace it by cutting a hole above the tank in order to get to it? Thanks.

Welcome!

Drop the tank. You'll likely need to refresh that one or get a new one anyway.

Dropping the tank is no fun but not that bad. Can be done easily in an afternoon.

I revived my 1990 wagon from an eight year slumber in 2016. The inside of the tank looked like the wreck of the Titanic.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

I love this car, the kids love it too. I suppose youíre right and I should just drop the tank. Wish me luck! Thanks again.

Hi, Welcome! I am WagonMan. I have parted several box body cars and I have a ton of parts.
    LMK if you need anything. Where are you? I don't sell out of the continental U.S.
    1990 Colony Park
    1970 HEMI Superbird

Thanks for the help! Im in New York, as I work on this Im sure I’ll need some parts. I’ll definitely reach out to you, thanks again!

I just ordered a brand new tank from eBay, what the heck.

Be sure the tank is specifically for a wagon as the sedan tanks are different.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

So I replaced the fuel tank and fuel pump. The car runs great. However the unit that measures fuel level isn’t working(gas gauge reads past Full). I can’t find this unit anywhere to purchase. Anyone have a lead on where I can find it?

I did this on a fuel gauge once. The cluster connector was loose and wasn't reading the sender at all. Plugged it back in all the way and it fixed the issue. So you might have a loose connection somewhere along the line.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    I did this on a fuel gauge once. The cluster connector was loose and wasn't reading the sender at all. Plugged it back in all the way and it fixed the issue. So you might have a loose connection somewhere along the line.
    Where are there connections along the line where I should look besides the cluster itself? Thanks again.

Is the fuel gauge reading above full all the time? Does it go to "E" when you turn the car off?
    WagonMan
    1990 Colony Park
    1970 HEMI Superbird

It stays on F no matter if the key is on or not. Maybe the gauge itself? When I first put the key on it drops a bit to 3/4 then immediately goes back to F. I pulled the connector at the tank and the gauge behaves the same way whether itís plugged in or not.
    Last edited by WagonQueen; 08-22-2021 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WagonQueen View Post
    It stays on F no matter if the key is on or not. Maybe the gauge itself? When I first put the key on it drops a bit to 3/4 then immediately goes back to F. I pulled the connector at the tank and the gauge behaves the same way whether it’s plugged in or not.
    Also, the gauge didn’t behave this way before I changed the tank. It definitely wasn’t pinned past F.

I'd say the wire picked up a ground somewhere. Maybe it got squeezed somewhere?

GMN Box Panther History

The fuel gauge sending unit was really rusty and I soaked it in some CLR and replaced the float. I also sprayed wd-40 all over it to loosen the float arm. Maybe I damaged the unit by doing that?

Turn the key on, Let the gauge go up to full. LEAVE the key on and unplug the sender at the tank. It should immediately drop to "E". That will tell you the sender is no good. If it stays on full, then you have a short in the wiring. WagonMan.
    1990 Colony Park
    1970 HEMI Superbird

Quote Originally Posted by WagonMan View Post
    Turn the key on, Let the gauge go up to full. LEAVE the key on and unplug the sender at the tank. It should immediately drop to "E". That will tell you the sender is no good. If it stays on full, then you have a short in the wiring. WagonMan.
    I just did that test and the gauge stayed on Full. Maybe I damaged some wiring getting the old tank out or putting the new tank in. Also, I cut two access panels out from behind the rear seats to get the rear shock absorbers out. I wonder if I did any damage to the wiring I saw. It’s raining cats and dogs out here today so I’ll check it all out tomorrow and let you know what I find. Thanks again!

Ok so I corrected the wiring issue. Thanks he sender must also be the issue because it reads Full no matter what. However now when I disconnect the wiring the gauge pauses. I’m having a hard time finding a gauge level sending unit for this car, are there any universal units that might work?

fomoco panthers !

I would go to the Ford dealer. Get the part number. Run the number on "Rear Counter Auto Parts". If nothing try Ebay, Green Sales.
    There are a few more suppliers. You have to have the proper number though.

Revive it. Very rare sending unit. http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...air&highlight=

GMN Box Panther History