Changng just the oil filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changng just the oil filter

I went to Walmart today for a jug of oil, and ended up letting their shop do the oil change. That was the first time I've used their lube service since I lived in an apartment many years ago, and while they seemed to be capable enough back then, today's decision was a big mistake for a number of reasons.

I've subsequently seen reports online that Walmart uses decent quality oil, but their filters are garbage. I think I want to replace my filter right away.

I've never changed just the filter without first draining the pan. How much oil should I expect will come out and need to be replaced?

less than one quart
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I believe you can pay the price difference for a better filter like a Motorcraft when you have your next oil change done at Walmart . Just have the oil changed at 2000 miles instead of replacing the filter now.
      Personal opinion is to NEVER have Walmart do any automotive work. I think they hire any "Joey bag of donuts" to do the work.

Comment

There won't be a next time.

One of the issues is that they do not drain the old oil. They vacuum it out the dipstick tube, which leaves dirty oil in the other chamber of the pan. I pointed that out to them in the middle of the job, and the manager told me they are prohibited from touching the drain bolts per Walmart policy. Rather than making an exception for me, he acknowledged that some dirty oil remained and said they would not charge for the job.

Comment

probably their way to avoid stripped out drain pans from being over-tightened. If not for the dual sump pan that method actually works well. Thats how marine engines are done, but the pan on the 5.0 makes that not really work so well.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I see you mentioned sucking the oil out...

I was gonna jump on the make sure they didnt overfill with oil because of the many many stories about walmart (and the likes) not draining both drain plugs and then putting 5+quarts back in.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

They added 5 quarts, but removed the last one before proclaiming the job done. The dipstick currently shows full to the top mark.

Comment

What filters do they actually use? A whole bunch of house-branded ones are made by Champ Labs, which are honestly not awful. Last I knew the Supertech filters were Champ, but I don't know if the oil change shop uses those.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                X