Rear bumper finish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear bumper finish

As many of you wagon owners know, the rear bumper isn't a chrome finish, it is anodized aluminum. I have 7 rear bumpers and they all look like shit. I thought about having one covered in wrap with a chrome finish, but the wrap place I inquired about it said it would be expensive because of the size of the roll needed to cover it. Plus it shouldn't be chrome anyway. My friend Dennis works at a place that does powder coating and he says there is a finish called "super chrome". Not really a chrome look but a super shiny aluminum look. BINGO! I sent my best bumper to the media blaster to get cleaned for the power coat process. I will let you guys know what the outcome is. Should be a week to ten days. WagonMan
    89 Colony Park
    90 Colony Park
    70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Cool. I have heard of super chrome.

My other thought was to strip the anodized finish (I have heard some household pipe drain cleaning liquids will do the job) and polish it up yourself. I think the powdercoating will come out nice.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Can't you use Mother's aluminum polish and just polish it?

Comment

If it's anodized a metal polish won't do much of anything. The anodization would have to be removed first before the aluminum can be addressed. Then you'd want to protect it afterwards with a clear coat or re-anodizing.
        1987 Lincoln Town Car - Signature, "Prudence"

Comment

lye will strip it. Most common source of that in household cleaners is classic Easy-Off oven cleaner. The problem with lye and aluminum is that it will eat the aluminum pretty badly if left in contact for too long. It will go from looking like its been lightly media blasted to very seriously pitted in not a whole bunch of time.

that stuff will eat your skin off too, so be careful. Lots of other heavy duty industrial cleaners are lye (sodium hydroxide) and some other herbs and spices, and I think you can just buy straight lye powder still.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Any updates on this Pete?
            ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Not good. They Superchromed it and it came out beautiful! BUT the shop foreman said it has to be cleared because Superchrome is not UV resistant. They cleared it and it turned gray, like I painted it. I don't understand because they show wheels and outer body parts on vehicles that look like chrome. WagonMan
              89 Colony Park
              90 Colony Park
              70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Wonder if something in the clear reacted with the Superchrome.

My Cars:
                -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Ive had the same happen to me with chrome. Reading up on it and I found out that if the base powder is not fully cured (whether it be still hot or fully cooled after flow out) and the top coat (clear in the case) is applied that the clear cross links with the chrome and turns it milky colored//gray.
                  ~David~

Comment

Working...
                  X