Monty's 1978 Case 446

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monty's 1978 Case 446

I bought this tractor last year. It had a bad engine knock, and I was dumb enough to buy it for $1,100 (came with a front blade). That price with a bad engine was a rip off. Tore the engine down to find that the rear main bearing was wiped out, and the oil pump had self destructed. Doing a full rebuild, and I'm $300 deep in parts. Spent yesterday and this afternoon cleaning everything and honing the cylinders (pic below). A flex hone and diesel fuel worked pretty good. If I can actually get this thing to run good, I'm either going to build a loader for it, or buy a Johnny Bucket.
    Attached Files

was thinking that looked like an Onan, then I saw the label. Onan uses a very similar motor on generators, exists in air and water cooled versions.

wonder if someone ran it out of oil or just let it get nasty until the pump gave out. These things are usually pretty reliable.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It is an Onan B43G. Oil pump gears were in pieces and the housing was cracked. I'll have to remember to get pics of the damage. Story I got was that the guy was blowing snow and the motor started knocking. Someone had put an electric fuel pump on this tractor, too. I plan to go back to a manual pump.

Did some assembly. Installed crank shaft, cam shaft, pistons, and valves. I'm not too confident on the rear journal of the crank shaft. There was some damage from the bearing failure that I tried to clean up.

Comment

You a fan of mustie1 on YouTube? He has a lot of tractor teardown & "will it run?" type stuff. This would have been a cool teardown to watch.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I'll have to check out that channel.

Did more assembly, tonight. The "new" used oil pump did not want to fit, so I ended up filing off some extra material from the housing where it was molded. Had a lot of extra material there, and needed a sharp corner rounded off. There are signs that someone has been in this engine before: The old oil pump has grinder marks on the top side where the housing cracked, and the two bolts that mounted the pump were not factory bolts. Installed heads, oil pump, oil pan, flywheel, and some little stuff.

Sorry for the lack of pics, but I don't really like to stop and shoot every little thing. I like to get a pace going and keep on it.

Pics of the rear main bearing and old pump below.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by monterey1962; 08-24-2021, 12:48 AM.

Comment

am I looking at teeth that should be on a gear and a cracked housing? how does that even happen?
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

That's my problem with pics and video. Ash and I were going to try and start a YouTube channel with that van we bought. Then we forgot to film a lot of it so we were like, F it.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I suck at that too. The people that are successful at it put a lot of time and work into it. I can appreciate it, but I can't be bothered to commit to that much effort. Especially with the ad revenue how it is, there is such an amount of work that has to be done before there is even a chance of making any money and unless you're at it constantly and/or get really lucky its basically a lot of work for nothing. I have a channel purely for convenience reasons, its all zero effort "this is how to do a thing" type stuff that a half dozen people watch but its handy as a place to dump that sort of content.

Comment

I made $142 over 10 years before Google cut off the adsense tit for those with less than 4000 subs.

Yeah... I didn't spend it all in one place.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Pulled the flywheel and timing cover back off, tonight. I had a bad feeling about a steel ball I had seen in the block that didn't match up with my engine manual.

Picture of block with oil passages: The ball was jammed into the center oil passage hole. I removed the oil pressure bolt, spring, and valve, but couldn't push the ball out from the back side. It was really jammed in there. I took a chance and used a hammer and punch to knock it in, hoping I could dump it out with the engine upside down. It jammed on the other side of the oil passage. Gave it a couple more hits and "plink" into the oil pan it went. *WHEW* Had to pull the oil pan off, but I got it out.

Picture of timing cover: That ball is actually the ball bearing for the governor shaft. It sits in a hole perfectly where the arrow is pointing. Why ... the ... hell ... was it jammed into an oil passage in the block?!

Picture of mystery pin: No idea where this thing goes. I thought it came out of the timing cover during disassembly, but there's nowhere for it to fit.

Picture of old oil pump to show grinding marks and more gear remnants.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by monterey1962; 08-24-2021, 11:07 PM.

Comment

Engine tear down after a failure is very interesting. Good job so far. Do you have a good service manual to help you out on the mystery pin and reassembly?
                      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

wonder if someone was in this previously and thought that since the ball could fit in that hole, thats where it went. Assuming the governor didn't work with missing parts either. Grinding marks on that pump look more like angle grinder, not internal self-destruction sort of grinding.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                          Do you have a good service manual to help you out on the mystery pin and reassembly?
                          I purchased a reprint of the original Onan B43G manual. I also have a copy of the Parts manual and Operators manual for the engine and tractor.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            Assuming the governor didn't work with missing parts either.
                            Governor rotated before, but now it rotates much smoother with the ball in there.

Comment

I've come to the conclusion that the mystery pin does not belong to this engine. Doesn't fit anywhere, and not in the parts manual, as far as I can see.

Comment

Working...
                              X