PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Monty's 1978 Case 446

It's all about the Benjamin! monterey1962's Avatar

The guy in that video is right, the manual does show it assembled: plate, gasket, diaphragm, pump, rubber gasket, carb. The pump on my carb is assembled in the wrong order, and has an extra gasket installed. I'm thinking I'd better pull this carb apart again and make sure everything else is properly installed.

Edit: Btw, that mystery pin looks just like the pin that holds the float in the carb.
    Last edited by monterey1962; 08-27-2021 at 12:07 AM.

Confirmed, the mystery pin is a carb float pin. Don't know why it was in the timing cover.

Rebuilt the carb since things were done wrong. Adjusted to specs. Installed the carb, intake, and rear coupling on the engine.
    Last edited by monterey1962; 08-28-2021 at 12:00 AM.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

in the carb, in the timing cover, same thing. Has to be in the engine, and any place is good right?

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Degreased the underside of the tractor since the motor was out. Removed the electric fuel pump and wiring. Had to pull the fuel tank in order to install new 1/4" fuel line. Engine is in, and the majority of parts are assembled. Took a while to get the front belt drive clutch adjusted right.

Will try to wrap it up tomorrow and see if it runs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails c22.jpg   c23.jpg   c24.jpg   c25.jpg   c26.jpg  

It runs, but I'm not happy with it. Spent HOURS trying to figure out a "no start" situation that ended up being fairly simple. Problem was, turning the key would only get one click from the solenoid. Went through most of the wiring, cleaned connections, replaced connectors, tested voltage, etc. Fu ... cking ... HOURS. Realized I was getting power at the starter, but the starter wasn't doing anything. Pulled a heat shield, and found that the starter gear was engaged, but jammed on the flywheel. After much more time of messing with that, I finally figured out that the starter gear was too tight when locked into the flywheel. It would spin the flywheel half a turn and stop. Starter bolts are in a very bad location to access, but I managed to loosen the top bolt. That made a big difference, but starting still requires putting the pry bar in there and nudging the starter away from the block a tiny bit for it to properly spin the flywheel smoothly.

A correction on info: I kept calling this a B43G, when it's actually a B43M. Well, a B43M-GA, to be more specific.

The reason I'm not happy is because this thing is LOUD. How loud? My neighbors closed their windows after I got it driving, type of loud. Ear protection is required to run this thing, and it's not the muffler that's bad. It's the engine itself. I can't tell if the motor is going to self destruct, or if this is how it's supposed to sound. It sounds like it did when the rear main bearing was bad, but with a more "rattling" sound. Kind of like loose heat shields banging. I'm disappointed in the outcome and myself, but that's the way it is. With parts, oil, and misc. items, I've got around $400 into it.

As of now, I'm thinking about selling it, but I want to mess with it more before making a decision.

that sounds awful loud but high pitch like valvetrain noise. Is the tappet clearance OK ? Wrist pins also tend to be higher pitch like that.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I forgot to check the valves to see if they were adjusted properly during assembly. Will do that when I have time, and go from there.

Pulled the heads. Could not see anything that would be an issue. Intake valves were at spec. Right side exhaust valve was too tight. Adjusted to spec. Points breaker gap was close to where it should be. Adjusted to spec. Installed the new head gaskets that came with the gasket kit.

Got too late to start it and see if there is a difference.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails c27.jpg   c28.jpg   c29.jpg   c30.jpg  

It might just be an old rattle trap and be in need of rubber mounts and resonator style intake and exhaust (those T pipes that go nowhere to help drown out the noise).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Cranks, but won't start. With the exception of the three times that it fired up and ran for three seconds, then died. I'm getting spark at the plugs. Tested the coil and all seemed good. Fuel filter is full of fuel and is located about 5 inches from the fuel pump. I even tried pouring a little fuel down the carb, and it wouldn't start that way.

can the ignition be out of time? Distributor that could be a tooth off, something like that or is it one magneto per cylinder?

Not sure how to explain it properly. See page 5 in the link. That is how my tractor is set up. https://www.casecoltingersoll.com/d3...atermarked.pdf

coil with 2 terminals then? thats waste spark if the points run right off the crank. One spark per rev, but one cylinder fires on the power stroke and the other on exhaust. Same way coil packs on a 4.6 work. Unless the points can be rotated relative to the crank, there isn't any timing adjustment, just a points gap. Basically I was thinking if the timing was off it could do this, but if nothing can be moved, it can't be wrong. Just has to be hot enough to light things off.

Compression test results: Left 70, Right 60. Not what I wanted to see. Should be between 100 and 120. Can't figure out why it started and ran for so long the first two times I had it running, though.

I cleaned the points, still no start. Adjusted the points from .021 to .018 and it fired right up. It has been listed for sale.

Bet you'll be happy to get rid of that thing. Good luck with the sale.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

I'd like to keep it and actually use it, but I don't like it enough to put more time and money into it. At this point, if I were unable to sell it, I would pull the motor and dig into the connecting rods and pistons. Of all the videos I watched on Onan engines, a few of them had that rattling sound. After researching more, it's probably the rods or pistons making the noise. There is also the option of installing a completely new motor, but the Vanguard upgrade is expensive.

Another factor is the three BS issues that I found in it: 1. The float pin in the timing cover. 2. The ball bearing jammed into the oil passage. 3. The grinding marks on the oil pump housing. Yes, I fixed them, but those things make me worry about how the rest of the tractor was handled.

I just assume that anything that makes its way into my hands has been horribly abused and neglected. I'm usually the last resort for a lot of things.

Pulled the ad. This tractor is driving me nuts. Today, it started, and I drove it around the yard. Turned it off, and it wouldn't restart. Problem is electrical. Messed with the points (cleaned and adjusted again). Could not get it to start. Put in a new starter solenoid, and no change. I'm pretty sure the points and condenser are part of the problem. When trying to start the engine, the points only spark 1 out of every 4 or 5 times there is contact. I've done some tests, but this thing doesn't give me a definite culprit. Now, I'm throwing money at it like a dumbass. Ordered rectifier, ignition switch, plug wires, points and condenser. Another $122 into it. $604 into it, so far.

My curiosity is getting the best of me, and I want to figure out this machine.
    Last edited by monterey1962; 09-12-2021 at 12:16 AM.

Rectifier, ignition switch, plug wires, and points/condenser installed. Rectifier harness was melted, and I had to rig up some new wiring. Now it starts. The rattle seems to be less noticeable, as well. Don't know why that would have changed.

Drove it around the yard for a while to get my kicks. It's listed for sale, again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast