No announcement yet.

Monty's 1978 Case 446

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can the ignition be out of time? Distributor that could be a tooth off, something like that or is it one magneto per cylinder?
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Not sure how to explain it properly. See page 5 in the link. That is how my tractor is set up. https://www.casecoltingersoll.com/d3...atermarked.pdf

Comment

coil with 2 terminals then? thats waste spark if the points run right off the crank. One spark per rev, but one cylinder fires on the power stroke and the other on exhaust. Same way coil packs on a 4.6 work. Unless the points can be rotated relative to the crank, there isn't any timing adjustment, just a points gap. Basically I was thinking if the timing was off it could do this, but if nothing can be moved, it can't be wrong. Just has to be hot enough to light things off.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Compression test results: Left 70, Right 60. Not what I wanted to see. Should be between 100 and 120. Can't figure out why it started and ran for so long the first two times I had it running, though.

Comment

I cleaned the points, still no start. Adjusted the points from .021 to .018 and it fired right up. It has been listed for sale.

Comment

Bet you'll be happy to get rid of that thing. Good luck with the sale.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I'd like to keep it and actually use it, but I don't like it enough to put more time and money into it. At this point, if I were unable to sell it, I would pull the motor and dig into the connecting rods and pistons. Of all the videos I watched on Onan engines, a few of them had that rattling sound. After researching more, it's probably the rods or pistons making the noise. There is also the option of installing a completely new motor, but the Vanguard upgrade is expensive.

Another factor is the three BS issues that I found in it: 1. The float pin in the timing cover. 2. The ball bearing jammed into the oil passage. 3. The grinding marks on the oil pump housing. Yes, I fixed them, but those things make me worry about how the rest of the tractor was handled.

Comment

I just assume that anything that makes its way into my hands has been horribly abused and neglected. I'm usually the last resort for a lot of things.

Comment

Pulled the ad. This tractor is driving me nuts. Today, it started, and I drove it around the yard. Turned it off, and it wouldn't restart. Problem is electrical. Messed with the points (cleaned and adjusted again). Could not get it to start. Put in a new starter solenoid, and no change. I'm pretty sure the points and condenser are part of the problem. When trying to start the engine, the points only spark 1 out of every 4 or 5 times there is contact. I've done some tests, but this thing doesn't give me a definite culprit. Now, I'm throwing money at it like a dumbass. Ordered rectifier, ignition switch, plug wires, points and condenser. Another $122 into it. $604 into it, so far.

My curiosity is getting the best of me, and I want to figure out this machine.
                    Last edited by monterey1962; 09-12-2021, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Rectifier, ignition switch, plug wires, and points/condenser installed. Rectifier harness was melted, and I had to rig up some new wiring. Now it starts. The rattle seems to be less noticeable, as well. Don't know why that would have changed.

Drove it around the yard for a while to get my kicks. It's listed for sale, again.

Comment

One time I thought it would be a grand idea to restore a late 70s Ariens snow thrower. The old machines are "unbeatable". Procured a decent used one and went through it; the only mechanical issue was a bent rake shaft.

Thought it was cool until it wouldn't start after we got a foot of snow and I needed it. Sold.

Bought a brand new 28" Ariens the next day and I've yet to have an issue. That was 5 years ago.

I like old stuff as much as the next guy, but sometimes it just isn't practical.
                        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Too bad it’s given you such fits. Usually those old things will outlive you. I have a 68 simplicity landlord that i need to get home if I ever make space for it. My yard is small but it could haul shit around plus it was my grandparents.
                          Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Working...
                          X