Fusible Link Replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fusible Link Replacement?

I intended to replace the fusible links under the hood of my car by using a centralized fuse box and blade fuses, as I've seen done on here. After some research, basically every source i found said to NOT do this. The links are slower blowing, and apparently safer somehow. I don't understand why a blade fuse would have a higher tendency to blow unless something went wrong with the circuit. Others said maxi-fuses can be used, but usually their amperage rating is too high. Should I just leave them alone?
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Its probably to do with fuse speed. Fuse links are a slow blow, they will take a high current surge for a brief time without popping. I don't know that they are more or less safe, just that they are more difficult to deal with if they do blow.

Kind of a personal choice thing. If they aren't broken you aren't going to fix anything by adding a box. If you go to a fuse box, its not going to be less safe unless you size the fuses poorly or do a bad job wiring it. Having seen a lot of really bad electrical work, my guess is thats where the real danger lies, not so much the fact that there are fuses instead of fuse links.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

There's a few of us here that have swapped to fuse boxes to replace the fuse link setup. Probably the most annoying issue to sort out is the fact that there's several circuits that are independent of each other, but all share the same color wire in that bundle.

Using a fuse link guide (essentially the gauge of wire used equates to the max amperage that circuit should be handling) made it pretty straightforwards, and you'll find most of the donor fuse blocks have fuses of similar amperage already present protecting those circuits.

Overall, it's a nice improvement for underhood cleanliness and does give you the benefit of easier to fix circuit protection if something pops. If you also use external relays, you can move them inside that box. I took the time to take the external headlight relay, horn relay, and A/C fan relay and moved them all into my fuse block when I installed it.

My Cars:
      -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
      -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

What you guys are saying makes sense to me. It would greatly help the wiring mess I have there now. I found a few different sources, with different recommendations on what fuses to use. Which of these looks best to you?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 9.05.09 AM.png
Views:	1
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	1289566

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 9.00.47 AM.png
Views:	1
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	1289567
        -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
          There's a few of us here that have swapped to fuse boxes to replace the fuse link setup. Probably the most annoying issue to sort out is the fact that there's several circuits that are independent of each other, but all share the same color wire in that bundle.

Using a fuse link guide (essentially the gauge of wire used equates to the max amperage that circuit should be handling) made it pretty straightforwards, and you'll find most of the donor fuse blocks have fuses of similar amperage already present protecting those circuits.

Overall, it's a nice improvement for underhood cleanliness and does give you the benefit of easier to fix circuit protection if something pops. If you also use external relays, you can move them inside that box. I took the time to take the external headlight relay, horn relay, and A/C fan relay and moved them all into my fuse block when I installed it.
          Is there a fuse link guide on this site or any others? This is definitely an upgrade I'd like to do. Fuse links just seem antiquated to me.
          —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
          1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
          1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
          1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

The black and white chart looks correct to me. The other chart is way too small on the fuses and you would blow them instantly. The general idea for fusing wires is to protect the wire. The fuse link is smaller than the wire it protects. Typically most circuits in a Ford are 18 or 16 gauge wire. These are typically 15-20 amp circuits. You can use a wire gauge calculator like the one here: https://www.wirebarn.com/Wire-Calculator-_ep_41.html to figure out ratings. Use 5% voltage drop instead of 2%. Generally 10 feet is the typical run of wires for a safe guestimate if you don't know the actual length. Brake lights and fuel pump will be the exception here, but won't matter in the grand scheme of things as those are also fatter lines.

I think the fuse sizes are one size large in that chart though. 16 AWG wire is typically on a 20 amp circuit, not 25 amp. Of course, if you set everything up, keep a batch of fuses with you and just size up the fuse one step if you blow one. Like if you're running a 15 amp and it blows, put in a 20 amp. But if that blows as well, check the circuit to make sure there's no ground shorts first before going up another step.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Good info here, thanks

Comment

Awesome! Thanks

One more electrical question- I have my 8-gauge amplifier wire running from under the hood to the trunk with a 50A inline fuse attached to it. The largest megafuse wire I have is about 12 gauge. If I only use a few inches of the 12 gauge megafuse wire and attach it to the 8 gauge, will I be ok? My basic understanding is that because the 12 gauge wire is so short, it will be able to carry a high level of amperage with little voltage drop, and the larger 8 gauge wire with its lower resistance will carry the current the rest of the way.
                -Phil

sigpic

Comment

I would feel better with 10 AWG, but if it's just a few inches (less than 1 foot), then it will basically work like a fuse link with a 50A fuse in it.

I'm using 6 AWG (probably 7 AWG actual) for my 60A link to my subs. I have used twin 30A (12 AWG) fuse holders for that setup originally using twin 10 AWG wire. Didn't have any issues with that. I did make sure to make things the same length.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

After reading this thread again, I have a fuse/fuse box related question but i'll start another thread.
                    Thanks

Comment

So it turns out I only had 2 fusible links, and a circuit breaker to wire in to the box. The other 3 links and circuit breaker that have always been an eye sore...were for police/towing options that no longer exist. go figure. I left the sub wiring as it is, I couldn't bear to put it into a smaller wire, heh.
                      -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X