2003 no fuel at rails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2003 no fuel at rails

Ok, I just got done installing a brand new Ford fuel pump assembly and fuel filter. Turn the key a few times to prime the system (which I hear the fuel pump run EVERY time), CEL light comes on with KOEO and then goes out as I crank it. Doesn't fire at all.

I've verified spark. Checked all fuses and swapped the FP relay with the horn relay. No codes stored for failures.

I rented a fuel pressure test kit and stuck it on the rail. I am seeing 0 pressure when it primes. Obviously it won't start. I've primed it several time and still nothing on the gauge.

Anyone experienced this one before? My next step is likely going to be to pull the outlet line off the fuel filter and prime it again and see if I get fuel from it. If not, then I guess I'm going back into the tank unless someone has a better idea...
    These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Well, may have solved it. Finally got it to start and have been able to repeat it at different intervals.

On a hunch, I lowered the car down a bit (had the back end really high in the air to reach the pump) and threw in a gallon of fuel. Primed the system about 10 more times and the 10th time I heard the pump strain at the end (indicating it built pressure). Turned the key and it fired up. I thought it was strange that the pump never changed sound but being a new pump I wasn't sure.

So I think a combo of air in the system and it being low on fuel to begin with and being at a severe angle was causing the pump to not pick up the fuel properly. Never could get the FP guage to funtion on it. It's not pressing the schrader valve down far enough. Returned that POS and told the counter guy. I'm going to go buy my own. Done messing with rental stuff that people mistreat and then return it.

Haven't driven it yet since I'm doing some rust repair on the pinch welds while I'm down there but should be dropping it down and give it a test run tomorrow hopefully.
    These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

Working...
    X