making ttread width narrower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

making ttread width narrower

I need to make the tread width on a 1997 crown vic narrower. MY current tread width is front 62.8 I need to shrink that to 59. So that's roughly 3.8 or 3 3/4" total or 1 7/8 per side.
    The rear is much worse. I need to go from 63.3 to 56.4. total of roughly 61/4 or 3 1/8 pe side.
    Can I do this with changing the wheel backspacing?
    I am thinking about swapping entire 97 crown vic. chassis under a 57 Ford fairlane 500 and the crown vic is slightly too wide setting the tires outside the 57 ford fenders. The wheelbase is off surprisingly the 57 ford is 118 and the CV 114.4

Any thoughts
    appreciated
    Thanks

Run 2003+ wheels with that offset it tucks them, may be just about right.

Comment

The later wheels will tuck, but will also rub up front when turning. You may need spacers to find a happy medium.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
        The later wheels will tuck, but will also rub up front when turning. You may need spacers to find a happy medium.
        Thanks both of you . Figured was some kinda wheel with more backscpace

Comment

You might want to find a Lincoln frame to get the wheelbase to match. I think they are 117.something.

Also, a 79-89 rear axle would be 1.5" narrower. But with the amount you are off back there, you may need to look at narrowing the axle and getting some custom axles made.
          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Ranger/Explorer rear axles are also narrower. Dunno how much though.
            Those will require fabrication as the mounts and all are different.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Lincoln or P74 Vic are probably better frame options. 117.7", which should be close enough to a 118" to go with no fuss.

pre-1990 rear is about 1 1/2" narrower so that will get you part way there. Physically 1979-1997 interchange. 98+ has completely different rear suspension. 6 1/2" just ain't gonna happen without narrowing the rear I don't think, unless you want a really goofy looking wheel combo.

Up front I don't know. Clearance with the suspension on any year is a problem if you try and move the wheels inward. 1 1/4" is usually enough to make the sidewalls of the tires rub the upper control arms on a box. There is a smidgen more clearance on later suspension because of the ball joint design but I don't think you're getting much more than about 1 1/2" of offset change up there. Fox chassis (Mustang, etc) or some Jeep wheels are basically that difference.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks guys I went and looked at one that had been done. Gonna put it in the back burner and finish my 53 mercury first. The one i looked at they had cut the floor and trunk out of the 57, the body off the 98 crown and welded the crown vic floor to the 57 floor remains They left the chassis original. They have very small tires on it. It runs and drives fine but is a mess under it. The welds look like a 6 year old did them and that's a lot of welds. THeyClick image for larger version

Name:	1957-ford-fairlane-500.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	1289617Click image for larger version

Name:	1957-ford-fairlane-500 (2).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	1289618 folded the rear fender lip in to get the tires on due to the wide rear end. Car looks nice but lots of stuff messed up Thanks for the input and think I will look for better options

Comment

That dash looks surprising good in there!
                  1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Working...
                  X