Inertia Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inertia Switch

Whilst waiting for DOT to clear out an accident on the way to work this morning, I got to thinking about the inertia switch. Don't know why I didn't check it when I pounded out the dent in the trunk lid from the tree last year. Also discovered a few months ago that the tree hit the crown on the passenger side as well. Can the inertia switch be tripped when there is no power in the system?

Yes, the can pop with out power. Its just a preloaded catch, shock it hard enough and it releases.

Comment

Okay, thanks Jeff

I hope that is the problem I am having; as I am exhausting all other ideas other than pulling the engine.

Comment

yep, its a purely mechanical thing, no power required. Kinda neat inside if you ever take one apart. Its basically a steel ball, a spring, and a little catch that holds the whole thing "set". Give it a whack and the catch releases.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

So I guess when the button is down; the inertia switch is set and the circuit it complete? When the catch releases, the button is up? Also, is the pink w/black stripe wire that's found at the fuel pump and at the relay, run throughout the whole system? Only reason I ask is because I found an orange wire with the pink w/black stripe wire at the inertia switch connector. I know I asked this already in my Readers Ride thread, but I forgot about this thread; and I am running out of time with this car.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1578.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	1289638 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1579.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	1289639

Comment

No mention of the model year
            I have same pink/black but instead of orange i have green/yellow.
            Inertia switch can be tested with a multimeter.

Comment

button up = off

dont know what color is what but one comes from the relay, the other goes to the pump. If you look at what color goes to the relay that will tell you which is which. Or just unplug it and turn the key on. The one from the relay will be hot for about 2 seconds after key-on.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

My dad had one pop after hitting a pothole. No other damage to the car.

Comment

Green (if original) is the fuel pump relay IIRC.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Somebody tapping bumpers in a parking lot can trip it as well. One advantage to the loud fuel pumps in these cars, doesn't take long to figure out if power is getting to the pump or not.

Comment

Working...
                    X