Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission oil cooler

Any tips or ideas on an external transmission oil cooler

I have an auxiliary cooler on my '95 T-bird, my '01 Mercury GM, my '77 F-150, and my '07 FX4 has a large factory one with it's heavy towing package. The one on my '77 has been on it since the late 1980s, it is behind the radiator but ahead of the fan. The Mercury and T-bird got their's maybe 5-6 years ago. When I add one, I add it in the return line to the transmission. I also use at least 2, often 3, and maybe sometimes 4 ... screw type hose clamps.
    5 is OK too.
    Reminds me, I should order some new trans lube fluid rated hose for the truck, getting some age on it.
    Last edited by tbear853; 09-12-2021, 11:41 PM.
    No ... I'm not arguing with you ... I'm just explaining why I'm right ...

Now go ... and whatever you do ... have a safe trip!

Comment

I have a Hayden 699 that I will probably get around to installing next year. I found cooler mounting brackets from certain GMT400 trucks ('88-'98/'99) with the Hayden 699 look like it will be really close to a perfect fit.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

This is a page from B&M catalog

Click image for larger version

Name:	2E98FC4A-AD83-4947-9F9F-D2417E2BE72E.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	1289640

Comment

On my '01 Mercury GM, the '95 T-bird is simular.
          Attached Files
          No ... I'm not arguing with you ... I'm just explaining why I'm right ...

Now go ... and whatever you do ... have a safe trip!

Comment

Here's what was on my 93 and the current one I put on. Hayden 678 cooler. It's overkill for sure, but this car was my tow rig at the time, so I went with "it ain't done until it's overdone." The old cooler was put on by the trans shop that rebuilt the trans at 106K miles. I now have almost 260K miles on it and just needed to replace the torque converter once around 200K.

Originally posted by sly View Post
            Cake has an upgraded trans cooler (a real one now) and trans fluid temp gauge.

old cooler:
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]47366[/ATTACH]

new one in:
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]47365[/ATTACH]

Temp sensor:
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]47367[/ATTACH]

Gauge:
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]47368[/ATTACH]

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I used a Flex-a-lite transmission cooler with the -6AN fittings. I'll get the part# for it when I get home as I can't find it on their site.

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...oria-LX/page18

Comment

I have used the Hayden cooler. They work good. My favorite is a Crown Vic. Police package cooler. Complete with the mounting brackets and fittings. Fairly cheap if you get one from a Pick a part type wrecking yard .

Comment

I also run an auxiliary transmission cooler in my 85. It was an inexpensive addition, easy to install, and serves for some peace of mind.
                  1985 2-Door: CFI, K&N Filter, Edelbrock Performer 289 Intake, E7 Heads, BBK Shorty Headers, Summit H-pipe, Hooker Max Flow Mufflers, E-Fan, 3G Alternator, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, Bilstein Rear Shocks, Rear Lowering Springs, KYB Front Shocks, Front Lowering Springs, FTI 2400 Stall Converter, PA Performance Valve Body, Ford Racing 4.10 Gear, Eaton LSD Differential - I own the fastest CFI powered box to the 1/8th mile: 9.658@70.74mph
                  1991 4-Door (Dad's Car): Pro-M EFI, 306ci, Forged Pistons, Ford Racing Aluminum Heads, COMP XE264HR cam, Cobra 1.7 Rockers, Edelbrock Performer RPM 2 Intake, 30lb. Injectors, Custom 65mm TB/EGR Spacer, Pro-M 75mm MAF, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Custom Summit H-pipe, Walker Mufflers, Jegs Built AOD, Roadrunner 3000 Stall Converter, Ford Racing 4.10 Gear - Best 1/8th mile time: 9.76@72.03

Comment

I have the B&M hi tek with a fan, the bigger model. I have a high stall converter and 4.10 gears so i want to make sure atf stays cool. AN-6 stainless lines and fittings. Also have a deep pan and temp gauge.
                    I had it mounted in the Panther and it was fairly easy with plenty of room.
                    I am actually trying to fit it on the zephyr now and it is much more challenging. Very little room because of the older style bumper and nowhere to hide it.

Comment

I really appreciate all the help I also forgot to mention that I have a 88 tc stock... gonna play with the stock block before I eventually swap engine and trans

Comment

I did the same cooler setup (no gauge) on the 88 MGM I used to have.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                        X