Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to the wagon life. Bought my first panther and wagon in one!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to the wagon life. Bought my first panther and wagon in one!

Hi all, my name is Danny and I live in NY. I’m 41 and for most of my life I’ve always been into cars. I’ve owned mostly sports cars(2 Camaro and 1 Mustang) but I’ve always had a thing for woody wagons.

This summer I set out to buy one but all of the examples in my area were really rusty and I absolutely did NOT want to deal with rust in my next project. So I decided to join IAA(insurance auto auctions), I watch some people who have bought cars on there for relatively cheap and figured I give it a try.

I spotted a 1990 Country Squire in NJ with a buy it now price for 1150. I didn’t even go and look at it in person as the pictures showed a rust free body. It was listed as a non runner and I took a shot. It arrived and was filthy, the trim was all peeling and had several wasps nests all over and inside. I got out the pressure washer and it cleaned up really nice. I did a carfax before I bought it and it was a one owner car with 80k original miles.

2 months later and I have the wagon all cleaned up and running! Everything works too, except the air conditioning (needs gas probably). I replaced, water pump, plugs, rotor, cap, wires, tank, fuel pump and
    belts. It runs really well and it is now a great way to get both of my sons out of the house since they love it and love to work on it with me. Those jump seats have been a lot of fun for them. Hoping to get to some car shows before it gets too cold. I’ve even met Wagonman in CT who sold me some wheels and has been a great help for me along the way. Happy to be part of this community!
    Attached Files

Welcome! Lots of knowledge here.

What part of New York or you in? I have family in upstate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks like a twin to my 90! Your woodgrain is better. Plus with the LX, I'd imagine you have some options on there too.

Great to see someone save one from certain death. I know my junkyard gets some stuff from IAA. Would like to hear about your buying experience with them.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Nice turn around from "as purchased" state. Looks like you've got a solid wagon.

Also spy a tasteful 16" wheel upgrade. Keep on keeping on!

My Cars:
        -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
        -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Cool wagon

Comment

Welcome from another NY member.

Awesome score. Looks like it cleaned up really well!

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Looking good.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

It's nearly my dream panther, LOL. The interior color could grow on me.
                Really nice find, hope you enjoy it!
                Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Thanks everyone, hoping to get a dual exhaust soon. This thing is quiet, a little too quiet !

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	275E5B7C-C137-4DFE-8B2F-18823C57144C.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	2.95 MB
ID:	1289658
                    Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                    It's nearly my dream panther, LOL. The interior color could grow on me.
                    Really nice find, hope you enjoy it!
                    I almost didn’t buy it because of the interior lol. But the car was rust free and I just had to do it. It has grown on me though.
                    Last edited by WagonQueen; 09-20-2021, 10:38 PM.

Comment

I’m in the city, Bronx to be exact. I’m hoping the weather holds up for Wednesday and if it does I’m gonna take the wagon to the bear mountain car show

Comment

Your wagon interior looks well kept. I like the color.

Comment

I love how the car has changed since the seller's photo, and your own ones. The interior looks like it is in a very good condition, that's also very neat.
                          I say, this car has a potential to be sold at a few times higher price in the future, if you manage to keep it running and well maintained.

Comment

You are a local.
                            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                            X