Seized Calipers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seized Calipers

I've not dealt with this before. The passenger side caliper on the CV is seized shut. I had a fluid leak in the master cylinder when I 1st installed it; due to an incorrect fitting. Corrected the problem and filled it back up. I should have bled the brakes at the time, but I focused on other things. Can I unseize the caliper by bleeding it? Is there another way to unseize that caliper? Or is it trash? Somewhere down the line, I will be overhauling the brake system for the big(ger) brake upgrade. Just need to move the CV for now.

it's possible it's the sliders that got stuck too, and not the piston. Take the slider bolts out and see if you can move the piston with large channel locks, even so I wouldn't risk it, remanned calipers are cheap, locking up 1 wheel on the highway and flipping the car is not so cheap
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

If the pistons don't move freely, rebuild or replace the calipers. If you manage to unseize the piston, make damn sure it keeps moving freely and evenly, they will easily stick again.
      Box calipers seems pretty easy to rebuild, but getting a remanned one shipped to you over on that side of the pond isn't nearly as expensive.
      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
      1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

I will see if I can unseize it; if not, I will just get another caliper. I just need to move/push the CV to the other side of the yard; or have it pulled onto a flatbed.

Comment

you should be able to get it unstuck enough to move it around unless it's REAL bad. I know when i rebuilt my original calipers the pistons were pitted like crazy, i got lucky nothing bad happened
          -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

I had a caliper seize on me with my CV a few years ago coming home in traffic. Thankfully it was stop and go and not 65mph on the highway. It was a cheap reman from RockAuto that I put on a few years before that. It failed out of nowhere. I didn't risk reusing it because I muscled it home the few miles half dragging the tire the whole way. Picked up another one that was a step above their cheapest ones and didn't have any issues for the rest of the life of the car. (I might have actually replaced both sides just to be safe... I can't remember)

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

They're (calipers) 9 years old; but were only active for 4 of those years; as the CV has sat for the passed 5 years.

Comment

rust. Bleeding it ain't gonna fix it. Replace them or pop the pistons out and polish the bores and pistons. Put new seals in while you're at it. These calipers are pretty garbage about seizing up and sitting just kills them.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                X