Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone had a stock lifter retainer come loose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone had a stock lifter retainer come loose?

Tonight I finally got around to digging into my old 5.0 roller motor that was giving me grief many years ago. If memory serves, there was a horrible whoomping noise consistent with engine speed, that went away when I loosed one particular rocker arm. It's an '87 lowpo that got a stock rebuild with original pistons in about '04, and currently has an Explorer cam with original lifters, pushrods, and rockers, and rebuilt E7 heads.

I expected to find a wiped roller on one of my 34 year old original lifters, but after pulling four, one of which I'm pretty sure was on the noisy valve, darned if they don't look fine! I'm thinking the next step might be to borrow a borescope in hopes that I can see the cam lobes without having to remove the front cover.

It's entirely possible the valve got messed up somehow, so pulling the head may also be in order. However, the main anomaly I noticed when I pulled the intake was that the lifter retainer screws were loose! I don't remember hearing of that happening to anyone else, so I'm wondering if someone's had that happen and found it to be causing valvetrain noise.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

I've heard of the valve retainers coming loose in very rare instances, but mostly from after work has been done and they have been disturbed and not completely seated back in place. The lifter retainer however, I've never heard of that coming loose.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

No. Nothing moves there, so there isn't really any reason for it to come loose unless someone messed with it. Those bolts ain't much though, so it would be very possible to over-torque one and damage the threads on the bolt or in the block. No idea what the torque even is, but if I remember right its a 1/4 or 5/16 bolt, so probably not more than 20 ft-lb. Basically tighten to contact and give it a smidge.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

pfffffffft ... misread post
        Last edited by tbear853; 09-21-2021, 08:22 PM.
        No ... I'm not arguing with you ... I'm just explaining why I'm right ...

Now go ... and whatever you do ... have a safe trip!

Comment

Working...
        X