Steering shaft bolts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering shaft bolts?

Finally got my new lower and intermediate steering shafts for the 03 and need to know if the pinch bolts need to be replaced or can I reuse them (with some blue locktite on them of course).

Also, anyone have the torque specs for the 3 bolts? There is the 10mm at the column, then the 13mm at the top of the intermediate shaft and the 10mm that connects the lower shaft to the rack.
    These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

For safety reasons due to corrosion and age, I would replace them.

Comment

Yea, I found that these are supposed to be replaced. Scored the lower shaft and upper ISS bolts from a dealer today. The 13mm for the ISS didn't match the old one and had no locktite on it like my original one. Couldn't even thread it in correctly. Parts counter lady showed me the diagram and part # it called for but it just didn't fit right. And I was using the new shaft to test it along with the original bolt. Unless this bolt was superceded for some reason then it was not the correct part. I did have them find the torque specs for me though, but now I'm back to square one trying to find this stupid a** bolt.

I really hate having an early '03 with 2 years parts range availability sometimes...
      These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

Well, I hit another dealer today and decided to have them order a bolt. Not sure if it's the right one or not but time will tell. If not then I'll be reusing the old one with some red loctite on it and a paint mark to ensure it doesn't move. I still can't understand why no Ford dealer can find the correct part for this considering it was such a common issue on these cars. Starting to get more aggravating than the rear axle problems...

Comment

Working...
        X