Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Under Hood Insulation

Hope this is the right section for this-

Has anyone noticed a difference in engine noise inside the cabin and outside the car with the underhood insulation installed vs without it? Looking to quiet the more undesirable engine compartment noises, and trying to decide if this is worth spending money on
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Can't say from experience on boxes, but in every other car I've witnessed, it made quite a difference.
    In my beemer (diesel) even just the "acoustic engine cover" that's just a piece of plastic with some denser material inserts makes a difference in the cabin.

Go for it, it surely won't do any harm. Something intended for hood insulation is probably the best idea.
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
    1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

I didn’t notice much on my 87, just heat dissipation on the hood. I agree go for it, it’ll at least do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Made the Continental a bit quieter outside the car, not sure it did much inside. It was already pretty quiet inside the car.

Did nothing on the Towncar but at the time the engine was making a lot of racket from valvetrain problems and it's main noise issue is exhaust related anyway.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Does anyone have an aftermarket source for these? Looking to get one for my fox, was missing when i bought it

Comment

What year fox? LMR has them. Or you could try eBay. I got one from eBay for my 87 mgm that was sort of generic. It fit decently and works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks! It's a '79
              I'll check out LMR
              Appreciate it

Comment

Brown_Muscle, Since you have a former patrol car, those did not have under hood insulation. So If you are looking for correctness, then you do not want it. You may not have the insulation package in the cabin either. That is where much of the noise is. The lack of under hood insulation helps with heat dissipation as patrol cars idled allot.

massacre, The insulation that I use is made by "Metro" There are three different sizes to choose from H1, H2 or H3 which is the largest. The BEST prices I have found is on Rock Auto. Right now they are out of stock. Some other vendors have the insulation. if you can't wait. The insulation pad you order, will have to be cut to fit. I have installed three of the H3. Very good fit especially if you have the old one as a pattern. Metro's pads are pretty thick compared to others which are 1/2 the thickness.
                You also want the proper clips. Aveco makes them, If interested, I can look up the number. Make sure your hood has the holes pre drilled in the underside panel . If not you will have to drill which I would discourage.

If anyone is interested, I have plenty of scrap pieces. I ordered the H3 which is more than enough for the Lincoln hoods. I did not need it all. Better to have more than not enough.

Comment

Outside was noisier when I removed the hood mat... but not by much. Inside made no difference.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                    Brown_Muscle, Since you have a former patrol car, those did not have under hood insulation. So If you are looking for correctness, then you do not want it. You may not have the insulation package in the cabin either. That is where much of the noise is. The lack of under hood insulation helps with heat dissipation as patrol cars idled allot.

massacre, The insulation that I use is made by "Metro" There are three different sizes to choose from H1, H2 or H3 which is the largest. The BEST prices I have found is on Rock Auto. Right now they are out of stock. Some other vendors have the insulation. if you can't wait. The insulation pad you order, will have to be cut to fit. I have installed three of the H3. Very good fit especially if you have the old one as a pattern. Metro's pads are pretty thick compared to others which are 1/2 the thickness.
                    You also want the proper clips. Aveco makes them, If interested, I can look up the number. Make sure your hood has the holes pre drilled in the underside panel . If not you will have to drill which I would discourage.

If anyone is interested, I have plenty of scrap pieces. I ordered the H3 which is more than enough for the Lincoln hoods. I did not need it all. Better to have more than not enough.
                    Thanks Tom. Right now the hood is laying on the roof so i need to look at whether i have the holes. Thanks for the info, i'm in no rush right now but i'll check it out. My big concern is whether having no insulation would affect the paint on the hood, as i do not want to paint the car.

Comment

My 90 and 96 CV police cars do not have hood pads. I have had not problems with the paint. Even when I was working, non of the cars had a problem with hood paint.
                      Another purpose of a hood pad is to smother a small under hood fire. The plastic clips melt, allowing the pad to fall on the motor.

Comment

Interesting, perhaps I should find out if i'm missing additional insulation inside first. I have some asphalt lined pieces, and jute padding under the rubber placed on the floor, did plushier models get more than that?

Since the new engine, cruising noise inside the cabin is louder, despite having dynomax super turbos (some of the quietest performance mufflers you can get), I think it's due to the mustang h-pipe causing resonance, however i also hear noise coming directly from the headers and H-pipe inside the cab as well. It's not a big deal if im driving it for 1-2 hours, but I routinely take it on 4-7 hour trips where it begins to get annoying. I drive this car as a daily when there isnt salt on the roads. Perhaps a custom x-pipe would fix this...but thats a large investment for a "perhaps"

I've shot the horse about 100 times after it was dead as far as "originality" goes. the drivetrain and suspension is far from factory correct. Visually the body is basically the same though.
                        -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

I just looked at the build sheet on my 90 CV. Mine did not have the "sound package" There is a upgraded insulation package that was included on the upscale models. Added insulation around the firewall, hump, under hood, between the headliner and roof, under the floor covering. and in the C pillar area. I have a rubber mat on the floor instead of carpet. That makes things louder. My 90 is like riding in a tin can with very minimal insulation.
                          I remember the 84 CV police car I had that was about the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                            My 90 and 96 CV police cars do not have hood pads. I have had not problems with the paint. Even when I was working, non of the cars had a problem with hood paint.
                            Another purpose of a hood pad is to smother a small under hood fire. The plastic clips melt, allowing the pad to fall on the motor.
                            Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

Comment

From what I've seen in autowreckers, smothering fires was a pipe dream. Personally, if it was for fires rather than noise, cop cars would all have hood insulation standard.

Comment

Working...
                              X