Mark VI ash tray issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mark VI ash tray issues

Anyone know how to get this annoying piece of s&@t back in the dash correctly?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t_5SMND2nsM
    2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

I think a couple leaf spring clips are missing on that. Not familiar with a working Mark ash tray, but there is usually significant friction from the springs pressing against the sliders, and they probably double as retainers to keep things from falling out. That C bracket with the janky holes in the side may be where these springs where originally affixed. Might even have an underbracket that is missing that screws to the bottom of the dash to hold things together. As you might now, the ashtray assembly in a box is held in place by three screws, which leads me to believe something may be missing.

Comment

You have a castrated ash tray. There should be 4 balls in that slider assembly where the holes are blown out. Thats what sits in the grooves inside the dashboard. Thats also why it doesn't sit right or stay where it belongs. I think you may need a donor ash tray, that bracket looks pretty f'd up and it may not be possible to just put new balls in it. There are tabs that are supposed to capture the balls and it looks like yours have been bent or broken off.

The release is the tongue thing center top. Push it down and it slides right out of the hole. Putting it back in is slightly fussy but basically hold the tin slider thing towards the back with your finger and get it started, then the whole thing will just push right into the bracket with no real fuss.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        You have a castrated ash tray. There should be 4 balls in that slider assembly where the holes are blown out. Thats what sits in the grooves inside the dashboard. Thats also why it doesn't sit right or stay where it belongs. I think you may need a donor ash tray, that bracket looks pretty f'd up and it may not be possible to just put new balls in it. There are tabs that are supposed to capture the balls and it looks like yours have been bent or broken off.

The release is the tongue thing center top. Push it down and it slides right out of the hole. Putting it back in is slightly fussy but basically hold the tin slider thing towards the back with your finger and get it started, then the whole thing will just push right into the bracket with no real fuss.
        I see what you’re talking about with the 4 holes where the balls should be. I’ll have to get a couple of pics of the ash tray assembly and see if it’s possible to see how bad the bracket actually is. If it’s not totally shot maybe I can just find the correct size ball bearings to go in there?
        2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

​

Comment

Taking a closer look at the ash tray it doesn't really look like the tabs that hold the balls are bent. It looks like the balls just sit in there and you kind of have to hold them in place while sliding the tray back in. I'll upload a couple of pics later tonight I'm at work right now and don't have good enough signal to do so. I just replaced the lighter socket in the ash tray so I pretty much have the wiring issue sorted out.
          Last edited by mercurygm88; 09-26-2021, 02:35 PM.

​

Comment

they hold themsevles in place if the tabs are not bent out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210926_094116.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	1289666

so long as the tabs aren't broken, you can probably find a couple of ball bearings at the hardware store and fix it.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

they hold themsevles in place if the tabs are not bent out.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]57066[/ATTACH]
              Gotcha, this is what I have. There's a local you-pull-it yard with an '84 TC and a '86 Crown Vic. I'm going to go check them out Tuesday when I'm off and see what I can find.

Last edited by mercurygm88; 09-26-2021, 03:23 PM.

​

Comment

might have to tap them back over a bit to retain the balls, but it doesn't look as messed up as I thought it did in the video.

Comment

Crown Vic and grand marq use a different, less complicated setup.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                  my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                    Crown Vic and grand marq use a different, less complicated setup.
                    Of course they do, if I knew the diameter of the balls that may help. I'm guessing right around 3/8".

​

Comment

likely, but if you take the thing to the hardware store, just get one size under the one that won't go into the hole in the bracket. Or use drill bits to size it.

Comment

likely, but if you take the thing to the hardware store, just get one size under the one that won't go into the hole in the bracket. Or use drill bits to size it.
                        I'm going to check out that '94 Town Car tomorrow and see if I can get that ash tray, if that doesn't work I guess it's off to the hardware store.

​

Comment

A 94 will probably have much different ash tray mounting hardware.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

+1, '94 will be more like your '02 LSE.
                            Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                            ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                            ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I can't type, it's an '84 Town Car.

​

Comment

Working...
                              X