Mark VI ash tray issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    That's too bad. Looks like a pretty unmolested car, aside from that. I'd splice factory connectors back in, what I did to one of Ashley's old trucks.
    That's what I did with my CV too. The previous owner cut off the whole original connector to splice in the crap aftermarket radio that was in the car. It was a rat's nest of random twisted wires held together by electrical tape. There's pics of it somewhere in my CV's RR thread.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

That's too bad. Looks like a pretty unmolested car, aside from that. I'd splice factory connectors back in, what I did to one of Ashley's old trucks.
      Originally posted by slack View Post
      That's what I did with my CV too. The previous owner cut off the whole original connector to splice in the crap aftermarket radio that was in the car. It was a rat's nest of random twisted wires held together by electrical tape. There's pics of it somewhere in my CV's RR thread.
      Yeah I haven’t had the radio out of the dash yet because it’s working fine and as much as I’d like to have Bluetooth I don’t want to buy another radio. Plus I have an aux input that works just fine. I have a pretty good Bluetooth transmitter in the Grand Marquis I just haven’t gotten around to buying a second one.
      2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

Comment

Building off of what slack said, you have no idea of the 'kwalitee' job that was done by whomever put that crap in. I remember my first car had an aftermarket stereo that someone put in. I thought they did me a favor until about a year later when it started cutting out and blowing fuses. I removed it to find wire nuts and electrical tape that had started to rub loose..
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Building off of what slack said, you have no idea of the 'kwalitee' job that was done by whomever put that crap in. I remember my first car had an aftermarket stereo that someone put in. I thought they did me a favor until about a year later when it started cutting out and blowing fuses. I removed it to find wire nuts and electrical tape that had started to rub loose..
          I intend to get in there as one of my many winter projects. I just haven’t gotten around to it. Too many projects too little time.
          2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

​

Comment

Radio wiring was hacked in the Conti too. Someone would probably still argue it's hacked since I re-purposed it to work in a manner it was never meant to, but at least it doesn't have a bunch of random extra wires and badly taped twist junctions back there now.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

On my Zephyr, someone had just jammed a wire into one of the ends of the glass fuses for power.

Comment

Originally posted by massacre View Post
                On my Zephyr, someone had just jammed a wire into one of the ends of the glass fuses for power.
                Git 'r done!

Comment

I’ve seen some pretty hoaky stuff when it as comes to vehicles, this wiring job is nowhere near the worst of those things.

I have a friend I’ve known since I was ten and all through my teenage years and early twenties his parents had a different vehicle every two to three months because that’s the kind of cheap garbage they bought.

His dad bought one cheap aftermarket CD player and every time they got a new vehicle it would get swapped in. Never mind dash kits and wiring harness adapters. It was all wire nuts and dry wall screws.

My buddy and I still joke about his dad’s use of drywall screws to fix vehicles.

​

Comment

Jeebus.. Even when I buy crap cars, I don't treat them like crap. If the next owner wants to, sure. Least whatever happened didn't happen on my watch.

Comment

Let me know if you still need an ashtray. I picked one up from the JY because it was super cheap, so if you don't need it I'm hardly out anything.
                      There was an '86 that was missing one ball and I picked this one from an '85 with all the balls and the wire connectors. I cut the wires on the dash side of the connectors so you have both the male and female ends of the connectors and a little wire to work with if you need to do some splicing.
                      I also grabbed the mounting plate in case yours is bent up or something.

I did find that the piece with the balls needs to be slid all the way back (farthest away from the face of the ashtray/toward the firewall) before I could get the stupid thing to go into the mounting plate.

If you don't need it don't feel obligated. It was very cheap and someone else may need it if you don't.
                      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I was able to get it back in. Everything is hooked up except the light in the lighter socket. I couldn’t find the wire for that.

​

Comment

Nice. I'll grab some pictures tomorrow of the wire and connector if it might help.
                          Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                            Nice. I'll grab some pictures tomorrow of the wire and connector if it might help.

It may, the power wire for the lighter was right there dangling. I couldn't find the brown wire for the light, I assume that only has power when the headlaveights are on. The ground was easy to find as well. There's a blue/white wire right next to the ground but I haven't checked to see what it is yet.

​

Comment

Glad to hear you got it figured out

Comment

Picture of the ashtray and wire pictures. This is from a 1985 LTC.

The wires for the lighter and its light go through a molded L-shaped piece of rubber with plastic clip to attach to the dash structure.
                                You already identified what wires are what for your car. For anyone reading in the future: Yellow/Light Blue go to the lighter +. Black is ground for both the Lighter and its light. Brown is + for the light.
                                The ashtray side of this connector is all single wire for the 3 pins. The car side of the connector is doubled up on the black and brown wires (2 wires per pin for these 2 colors.) The connector also clips into the dash structure with a rubber bushing on the clip to keep it from rattling.

The band that holds the lighter light to the lighter housing squeezes together and that comes off of the lighter housing, but I haven't figured out how the bulb comes out. Unless you're supposed to replace the hole harness (E0VB-15080-AC) when it needs a new bulb? The bulb I have does work by the way.

Also the ashtray illumination is Light Blue/Red positive and Black for ground.

Attached Files
                                Last edited by VicCrownVic; 10-10-2021, 08:48 PM.
                                Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Working...
                                X