Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lowering 91 Crown Vic, same suspension from grand Marq will fit? (Bilstein Question)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lowering 91 Crown Vic, same suspension from grand Marq will fit? (Bilstein Question)

Good afternoon!

I recently got a 91 CV and its the best 800 dollars ive ever spent. Been driving it a few weeks and have some money to replace the shot shocks. I purchased Speedway 925/200 and they just got here. Im looking for shocks and from what I hear KYB is passable but bilstein B6's are what should be bought. Im having trouble finding them for a 91 crown vid. Everything seems to be 79-82/92+ online. The thing is when it comes to Grand Marq theyre all 79-02. Will something like https://www.shocksurplus.com/product...gle%20Shopping fit a 91 Crown vic?

Welcome!
    As far as shock fitment goes, if it will fit a Grand Marquis or a Town Car, it will fit a Crown Vic. 79-02 is correct as they used the same shock mounting setup, front and rear, all through that range.
    As for which shocks to get, I wouldn't be much help. My setup is more of a stock or slightly higher height which is not what you're going for. For my setup KYB Excel-G 344081 on the front with stock springs and Gabriel HiJackers 49205 air shocks with Moog CC817 on my '98 and CC819 on one of my '91s (The Ice Car). The rear is a little higher and firmer on the '98, and quite a bit higher and firmer on The Ice Car, which suits me and all the weight I haul around.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Sorry for being a little late on this......

Bilstein front shocks 24-014953

Bilstein Rear Shocks 24-014960

Comment

If you're looking for great handling, recovery from road surface irregularities, Bilstein is the way to go. KYB's aren't bad for the price, but Bilsteins are definitely better. Have them on my LTD, and had KYB before them
        -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
          Sorry for being a little late on this......

Bilstein front shocks 24-014953

Bilstein Rear Shocks 24-014960
          Is this stock ride height? If so, I'll add these part numbers to the suspension FAQ.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
            If you're looking for great handling, recovery from road surface irregularities, Bilstein is the way to go. KYB's aren't bad for the price, but Bilsteins are definitely better. Have them on my LTD, and had KYB before them
            Just purchased a set based off of your description....Another winter upgrade added to the pile. Currently have gas-a-justs..bilsteins to come.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
              Is this stock ride height? If so, I'll add these part numbers to the suspension FAQ.
              I would say yes because they cross-referenced to Monroe-SensaTracs I had before the full suspension rebuild. I have had no problems with these Bilsteins and the Speedway springs.

Comment

They are for stock ride height according to rock auto. Curious if a "lowered" version is manufactured. I doubt it is.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Added to the FAQ... also added ADTR's new adjustable coil-over systems (replaces the lower control arm up front).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                  X