Noob Looking for Car Buying Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yikes.

I'd be interested to see what others think before basing a decision on what a random guy on the internet like me says.

I would be starting to get uncomfortable at $2500 maybe $3k but apparently used car prices are way up at the moment so I might be out of touch with the unfortunate reality. Still, the asking price is nowhere near what I would be willing to pay.

Edit: Did not see Derek's post before I posted, but that's 2 votes for the $2500 range. No way a seller would come down that much.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Yeah... they're asking high end money for a low end car. The rockers are GONE. The frame looks okay though. The body rust however makes it "fair" condition in my book. I wouldn't pay more than 2k for that one. Especially with the bad oil leaks. It may just be valve covers, but a rear main seal would suck.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

No way would I pay the seller's asking price. $2,500 would be max. Even with used car prices high, The rust issues would make me pass on that car. IF you plan to repair the rust properly and fix the oil leaks, you could get a few years out of the car. Add $1,000-$1,500 at least for the cost of repair to a reasonable purchase price. If that vehicle was in the west, and in excellent shape, maybe the asking price would be acceptable. Low mileage does not mean well cared for.

Comment

Wow guys. Thanks so much for all your advice. It's all very reasonable. You saved me a bundle of $$ because I was going to take it to a mechanic - unknown to me - to have him tell me the same thing.

THANK YOU ALL!!

Comment

Yeah, with how fresh that oil looks, I'm betting that's a rear main seal and a very bad leak.

Rust repair is expensive, and it always comes back faster and harder than it was before. My advice is, don't repair rust unless the car will never see salt or excessive moisture again.
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

There is a round rubber plug on the bell housing. If you pull the plug and shine a strong light up there, You will know if it is a rear main seal leaking. Agree with it being a bad expensive leak. Agree also with fixing rust. Even with cutting out the rusted area and putting in new metal, It seems like the repair doesn't last but a few years if that. The brine that use on the roads eats everything quick.

Comment

$5K is absurd for that car. On the high end I would expect to pay 2000-2500; he is out to lunch. Honestly the body rust is enough to turn me off. I purchased a pristine (and I mean pristine) '06 with 76K on it for $4800, from a used car dealership.

They are great cars, but you can find a much better example for your money.
                **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Working...
                X