Marge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marge

Discussing some electrical issues with Phil and I belive its the alternator ....any way got it rebuilt and putting back together. So the 15 ft bottom alternator bolt, having an issue for it to seat in the back part of the bracket...got it one third in the front. Any tips? Do I secure the other bolts of the alternator bracket first?

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

I've had this issue a couple times. I just kept messing with it until I got it. Basically when it looked like the alt should be lined up it was not. I couldn't get the bolt out the rear of the lower alt ear as it was hitting the bracket instead of entering the hole in the bracket.

If you're just pushing straight in and it won't go, sometimes screwing it in helps even though the bolt threads are nowhere near engaging the threads in the bracket.

Just keep wiggling the alt around till it feels right is all I've got.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Yeah Vic, pry bar and silly rocking and forth. I know I am not a mechanic by any stretch but the four letters words tend to come out after a couple of hours. I am assuming the bottom bolt should be done first and then tension applied and top alt bracket bolt secured

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Comment

I leave the lower bolt loose. Then apply tension...tighten the upper bolt... then snug up on the lower bolt. Doesn't make sense to me to strain against pivot point when applying tension to the belt.
        Last edited by 87gtVIC; 10-12-2021, 02:41 PM.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Grand1 View Post
          ...I know I am not a mechanic by any stretch but the four letters words tend to come out after a couple of hours...
          As my one buddy used to say in regards to that, "Remember, we do this for FUN."
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
          X